This post seeks feedback on the Stewards role before we elect new Stewards.
The objective is to share any lessons learned by existing stewards to help new Stewards perform the role in the future, as well as gather perspective and feedback from Members on the role and how it might be updated and improved.
The Stewards role was defined in P-22: DAO Governance Structure Upgrade below.
Stewards are elected Members as well as the nominated Developer DAO Foundation Director who help “Steward” the DAO via elevated responsibilities in Governance.
Stewards replace the “Governance Allowlist” as currently defined in DDIP. Every Steward has the right to elevate proposals to binding Snapshot votes that successfully achieve the required elevation criteria defined in DDIP. Obtaining this right, therefore, also moves away from holding a specific number of $CODE tokens defined in DDIP to being appointed a Steward via Election processes defined below.
This active participation role is responsible for steering the DAO to ensure it is working towards its stated mission. Stewards must sign a Contributor Agreement with the Foundation detailing the role and rewards defined below.
- Keep track of ongoing Governance Proposals
- Ensure Governance Proposals follow templates and guidelines
- Review, comment and suggest improvements to inflight Governance proposals
- Identify and triage overlaps and conflicts in Governance proposals
- Coordinate activity between the Sub-DAOs
- Define the DAO’s Seasonal (Quarterly) strategy, including setting DAO-level OKRs
- Reviewing DAO and Sub-DAO performance against agreed OKRs, deciding on suitable action if Sub-DAO’s agreed deliverables are not being met.
- Define DAO-level Treasury Strategy (any DAO Operational / Foundation costs, Treasury assets available for budget requests).
- Review and decide on ad-hoc funding requests made during a Season.
Stewards commit to 2 - 4 hours per week for reviewing and attending Stewards Council Meetings and performing their Steward duties as defined below:
- Community Elected Stewards will be signers on the DAO Treasury
- Attend fortnightly Stewards Council (min 4 out of 8 per season)
- Arrive with pre-reading complete (when sent > 24 hours in advance)
- Give Substantial feedback to min 2 DDIPs per Season
- Provide input to relevant forum discussion
- Bring relevant topics for discussion to Steward Council meetings
- Act as moderators for CoC & Violation process being defined here (Procedure 1). )Note: Stewards may be replaced as moderators depending on the outcome of that proposal).
The Stewards Council Meeting provides the space and conditions for higher-stake cross-DAO decisions to be vetted and discussed, enabling the DAO to efficiently and responsibly fulfil its mission. The council is responsible for sensemaking and strategic direction and acting as a decision-making body for DAO-Level topics. (Those that sit outside the Foundation or Sub-DAOs.)
The Stewards Council meets weekly on Thursdays @ 4 pm UTC.
The Stewards council is an action-orientated session where Stewards seek to make decisions on pre-determined Agenda Items. Whilst some discussion is welcomed during the meeting, most should happen on the forum.
Every meeting must have a designated facilitator who keeps the meeting on track.
The nominated Foundation Steward will perform this role for the first Steward Council of each Season. After that, this role will rotate, with the next meeting’s designated agreed upon by the Stewards at the end of the previous session. If no facilitator is chosen, it falls back to the last chosen facilitator.
The facilitator must share the agenda > 48 hours before the meeting using this template. Any Steward can add items to the Agenda using the format defined in the same template.
The facilitator should add agenda items to a Slido ahead of the meeting and share this with Stewards attending to prioritise points for discussion at the start of the meeting.
Items not included on the Agenda before the meeting can only be discussed after the agreed agenda has been covered. Agenda items not covered are automatically added to the next meeting to be re-prioritised using the method outlined in the previous paragraph.
Meetings are restricted to the Stewards to ensure efficient decision-making and take place on Steward’s dedicated voice channel. Notes and audio recordings must be shared on the forum with Members by the meeting facilitator, including a record of any decisions and actions taken.
Stewards are encouraged to discuss topics asynchronously as much as possible and only bring discussions to the Steward Council when there is a decision to be made following the format laid out in the meeting template.
Decisions during the Steward Council are made optimistically, facilitated by the meeting’s designated facilitator using the following format:
- Steward requesting a decision spends no more than 2 mins explaining the Agenda Item and the suggested course of action.
- If no one is present on the call objects, their suggested course of action is recorded.
- If any Steward objects, the facilitator puts forward a 48-hour vote of the Stewards via discord Poll restricted to the Steward role with the following format:
- Requiers more discussion
- Where the vote “Requires more discussion”, a thread should be opened in the Stewards discord channel for this topic, or a separate call should be organised. The point should be brought back to the Stewards when a decision is ready to be made.
- Where there is a tied vote, the vote defaults to Against
Stewards are accountable to Members on a Seasonal basis via Elections.
Any member can track Steward’s engagement in Governance discussion on this forum here and on snapshot via
https://snapshot.org/#/profile/stewardswalletaddress to help them make informed decisions about supporting an existing Steward in future elections.
Before the start of each Season, a maximum of 10 Stewards are elected via DDIP.
A proposal is made by the sitting Stewards, which outlines the responsibilities and rewards for Stewards as defined in this proposal and invites any Member to nominate themselves as Stewards.
Nominations are made as comments to the DDIP Proposal with the following format:
- Discord Username + Forum Username
- ETH address (where $CODE tokens are held)
- Statement of Intention / Your Values & Reasons for Joining
- Governance Record (lin/screenshot of forum stats)
- Snapshot voting record (link/screenshot of snapshot profile - Snapshot)
After five days of nominations, the election is moved to a Snapshot vote with a Weighted Voting strategy that allows members to allocate a % of their total vote across all nominated Stewards.
- A maximum of 10 Stewards will be elected from this vote.
- To be elected, Stewards must receive at least 1 vote.
- If there is a tie between 2 or more Stewards for the 10th place, a repeat vote must be held with *only *those tied for the 10th place.
Stewards serve for 1 Season at a time, with re-elections required before the start of each Season. There is no limit to how many times a Steward can be re-elected.
Stewards are compensated in $CODE for the equivalent of the maximum number of suggested hours they might serve as a Steward multiplied by the current defined hourly rate of 15 $CODE.
8 weeks X 4 Hours X 15 $CODE = 480 $CODE Per Season.
The role responsibilities were amended in P-33: Reduce Stewards role in DDIP, removing the need for a majority of Stewards to comment on a proposal before it can be elevated to snapshot motivated by a designer to allow Governance to move faster. After the 5 day discussion period in DDIP any stewards is now able to elevate a proposal to Snapshot.
As above, the objective here is to share any lessons learned by existing stewards to help new Stewards perform the role in the future, as well as gather perspective and feedback from Members on the role and how it might be updated and improved.
- Learn from the serving @stewards to support the next stewards in performing the role better
- Understand the sentiment and feedback from the community on the stewards role
- Discuss any adjustments to be made to the role before re-electing it
|Finalise Feedback request and post to forum for discussion
|Allows Stewards and Members to share their experiences, feedback and perspectives on the role to help inform how future Steward can best server the DAO
|January 19th, after Stewards call (for 5 days)
|Open new round of elections
|New post to forum asking members to volunteer for elections to becomes Stewards for the DAO
|January 25th (for 5 days)
|If required, elevate election to Snapsho
|We allow up to 10 Stewards. Last time we had under 10 stewards and skipped this stage. Propose it may be worth completing this stage anyway as a chance for members to signal support for nominees, including if someone receives not votes potentially disallowing them from the process
|January 30th (for 5 days