Team: derked.eth, dhaiwat.eth
Summary: We want to deploy a derivative NFT collection on an L2 that lets D_D genesis NFT holders mint a guest pass (i.e. temporary membership) for anyone they want. The receiver will receive a guest pass in the form of an NFT to their wallet. This token will ‘expire’ after a certain time period. We’re thinking of setting this period to one month for now.
Why is this needed:
The only way to become a member of Developer DAO right now is to purchase a genesis NFT off of the open market. These NFTs are expensive (~0.2 eth). A lot of people just cannot afford to get one.
Apart from D_D being the awesome place it is, one of the big reasons behind our membership being this expensive is the fact that we only have 8000 max seats. Some of those are being squatted by whales so that would take the actual number to around 5000. If you compare 5000 to the number of people who want to get into our DAO, there is an insanely huge mismatch between supply and demand.
Money being the only gateway to a community that’s all about free education and public goods doesn’t sit well with me. I know we have a scholarship program in place which has been a huge success. But that is being run by only one or two persons + we will eventually run out of NFTs to give away. That’s a very narrow perspective. Why not decentralize the ability to give out (temporary) access to the D_D membership? I strongly believe that giving all members of the DAO the ability to do this will let people from more diverse backgrounds come join us at D_D.
We have heard from several companies, builders and students that they want to come check out the D_D community from within. This will let them do that for a short amount of time without bearing a significant cost.
This program will be the most beneficial for students and newcomers to the web3 space who want to start contributing to the DAO but cannot afford the NFT. They can join the DAO for a month through this program, start contributing and earn their full membership by getting compensated in $CODE tokens. (this is for the future once $CODE has been launched)
What we have done until now:
- We have created an MVP for this already which is live at https://devdao-sponsorship-frontend.vercel.app/.
- Source code for the contract: GitHub - Developer-DAO/DevDaoSponsorship: Sponsorship NFT for Developer DAO
- Source code for the frontend: GitHub - Developer-DAO/devdao-sponsorship-frontend
How this works:
Let’s say A is a member of Developer DAO, B and C are non-members who want to get in.
- A goes to the deployed frontend.
- A connects their wallet to the site.
- A wants to gift a guest pass to B so they enter B’s eth address on the site and clicks ‘Mint’.
- A signs a transaction that transfers an NFT to B instantly. This NFT will give B access to the D_D discord for 30 days.
After 30 days
- B loses access to the D_D discord.
- A wants to now gift a guest pass to C but they cannot do so for another 30 days. (this cooldown period has not been implemented in the MVP yet)
After another 30 days, A can repeat the process and gift a pass for C.
What needs to be done to make this a reality:
- A positive response from the community on this forum post
- Snapshot vote? If the community deems it’s required.
- Contract deployment to Polygon / Optimism mainnet.
- Frontend deployment
- Change the Collab.land config for our Discord server to allow anyone holding a valid token from this new derivative NFT collection to join our Discord server and give them the ‘dev’ role. This role will be taken away automatically after 30 days.
- Announcement to members.