The Developer DAO Knowledge Base is currently in the form of markdown on a GitHub repo:
GitHub Resources Repo
With our current GitHub repo, we have some of the following challenges:
- As the repo grows with more and more resources, it will make it harder for people to find content that is relevant to them
- Even though there is some structure, the repo may not successfully handle all incoming “learning paths” (e.g. onboarding new devs, quick links for documentation, finding great tutorials about a particular subject)
- Building a list of resources (links to video, articles, tutorials, courses, websites, etc.) on a platform with a database was suggested so that we can have a comprehensive list of resources with structure, labels, etc.
- This database would enable us to contribute, manipulate, and view (filter / sort) a comprehensive list of resources
We are looking for proposals from members of the DAO on which tooling stack / platform we should move forward with, which will act as the DAO’s formal database for web3 resources, which will then be used to power the Knowledge Base.
- There will likely be friction if we decide to switch platforms at a later date, which is why we’re asking for a stronger thought process (i.e. proposals) right at the start.
- The selected platform will ultimately dictate the stack we will build the Knowledge Base on. For example, if the platform has an external / public-facing API, we have flexibility in building a curated front-end knowledge base. Alternatively, if the platform has an easy way of manipulating views and a good user experience, but lacks a strong API, we may build the knowledge base on the platform’s front-end product.
Not all requirements are mandatory. Some platforms will be more advantageous than others in various scenarios, but will have other drawbacks.
- Flexible properties so that we can add filters / sorts
- Performant at scale, even with thousands of database entries
- External / Public API so that we can build a front-end on top of it, for curation / other reasons
- View manipulation or output to GitHub repo
- Export in case we need to switch platforms
- Form input so that we can encourage better collaboration and potentially add process (reviews, contribution rewards, etc.)
- Integration into contribution platform (TBD pending formalization of contribution mechanism - tokens, etc.)
- Use AirTable as the database
- Use Notion as the database and knowledge base
- Build database on Supabase (or other custom integration)
- (Feel free to submit your own proposal)
Proposals can be submitted informally by anyone in the DAO. We ask that proper thought be given to the requirements above. You don’t need to follow the structure below, but you should present some good arguments about why your tool / platform will really help the knowledge base.
- Platform / tool description and overview
- Examples of successful KBs using this tool
- Architecture (i.e. how the KB “stack” will be built on top of this tool)
- Onboarding process (i.e. how do we start using it)
- Requirements (i.e. how does the tool handle the requirements above)
- Other notes
Any member of Developer DAO can submit a proposal in this thread.
- Please reply to this thread with your proposals.
- We’d like all proposals to be submitted by: Wed. Oct. 20 at 17:00 UTC.
- We’d like as many members as possible to view the proposals and submit their vote for the winning platform / tool.
- Voting mechanism TBD.
- We’d like all votes to be submitted by: Fri. Oct. 22 at 17:00 UTC.
Happy to answer any questions, talk about new ideas, or partially-baked proposals on #knowledge-base in Discord.