P-38: Introducing the Developer DAO Bounty Board

THIS PROPOSAL HAS BEEN UPDATED HERE

authors : @mannyornothing @Kirsten (Talent Layer)

The Developer DAO (D_D) bounty board, provided by TalentLayer, marks an exciting chapter in our community, offering a tailored platform where approved members can share and engage with bounty opportunities. This initiative not only streamlines the contribution process but also assures quality and relevance in the bounties posted.

To access the Developer DAO (D_D) bounty board visit developerdao.builder.place.

Short-Term Strategies and Vision

In the immediate future, we envision setting up labs or designating approved members to manage and post bounties. This careful curation ensures that each opportunity aligns with our community’s standards and the dynamic needs of our members.

Planned Features and Partnership with TalentLayer

We’re not stopping there. Our collaboration with TalentLayer opens up a realm of possibilities to enhance the bounty board. While these features are set for future implementation, they reflect our commitment to creating a robust, user-centric platform. Here’s what we’re looking forward to:

1. Exclusive Posting Rights: Ensuring that only D_D members (NFT holders or those with a sufficient amount of CODE tokens) can post jobs. This feature maintains the integrity and exclusivity of our ecosystem.
  2. Featured Posts: Implementing an admin center feature to highlight specific posts at the top of the list page, thereby providing prominence to crucial bounties.
  3. Monetization Model:
    • Transaction Fees: Introducing a configurable fee on transactions, recommended between 2-5%, contributing to the sustainability of the platform.
    • Posting Fees: Charging a fee for posting bounties not only aids in maintaining high-quality postings but also adds a revenue stream for further development and community initiatives.
  4. Member Highlighting: When hirers visit profiles, D_D members will have a distinctive “seal of approval,” accentuating their credibility and standing within the community.

In partnership with TalentLayer, these features will be expanded upon, albeit with a revenue split of 2%. This strategic collaboration ensures that while we introduce cutting-edge functionalities, we also sustain the growth and development of our platform.

Forward Together

As we build and refine the D_D bounty board, we remain focused on our core mission: to foster a space where developers can learn, earn, and excel. With these enhancements and the continued input from our members, we’re not just constructing a platform; we’re nurturing a vibrant, innovative ecosystem where every member can thrive.

6 Likes

GM, friends! Kirsten with TalentLayer here. Excited to get your thoughts on this proposal over the next week.

See more deets and why we’re stoked to build this alongside D_D here:

The Twitter Thread

The Medium Article

4 Likes

Guys, I know we are in crypto but how is this handled legally. Any chance we can integrate this with https://twitter.com/rotkiapp

1 Like

This would be a great way to attract contributors for all bounties and also to use it as a proper system for payment.

That too being Developer DAO own bounty board will be a great tool for the DAO imo!!

3 Likes

Great idea and concept! :ship: it.

1 Like

I love this idea, and think it helps solve one of the biggest problems that I’ve personally seen in the DAO: new contributors joining the idea, and not seeing anything they can actively contribute to.

This is a lower priority than what’s outlined as next steps in the blog post, but in the interest of making bounties as visible as possible, I think these two steps could be helpful:

1. Integration with a read-only channel in D_D Discord that posts new bounties as they’re posted. The #members-bounties channel in the BUILD section has been inactive since last fall, so that seems like the best spot.
  2. Tagging system that allows bounties to be tagged to the correct type of work (backend/ frontend coding, documentation, marketing, etc.). We could perhaps let people self-enroll in certain Discord roles that could then be tagged in Discord if a bounty with the bounty board tag matching their skillset is posted.

I know a lot has been done to simplify the Discord roles and channels, so I’m hoping this isn’t out of alignment with the new approach. Just want to make sure we have a way to get these amazing opportunities front and center for anyone who joins the community.

Awesome work, can’t wait to see it roll out!

3 Likes

Someone from Arbitrum Foundation commented on the Twitter post I made about this governance proposal. They asked to put official Arbitrum bounties on the D_D Bounty Board! Having a public bounty board brings a lot of inbound opportunities once people know about it.

4 Likes

Rotki is awesome, and I have a friend that did some opensource contribution for them. We should totally consider supporting in future versions.

2 Likes

Looks like an awesome initiative and agree that it’ll be a great way to have members kickstart their experience with D_D.

Some questions from my end:

1. Will bounty payouts and disputes be handle solely by TalentLayer? What are the risks (if any) associated to D_D?
  2. Regarding the monetization model, what are the exact numbers behind listing fees? Is it a flat fee or does it vary depending on the number of postings/level of complexity of the bounty? Say i’m an org who wants to post 10 bounties, will i have to pay a fee on each of the 10 I post or do I get a discounted rate since i’m posting in bulk?
  3. Are bounty payments and fees only transacted in crypto? Is fiat an option?
  4. Which sub-dao (or champions) will be leading this from the D_D end? Just Manny?
  5. Is there a set term for the agreement between D_D and TalentLayer? What does the contract look like essentially?

Regardless, this seems very like a very promising business relationship and am excited for all the opportunities it’ll bring our members!

3 Likes

I like this idea a lot.

Want to know a bit about if it’s self sustaining.

1 Like

Great initiative :slight_smile: The more ways we can bring opportunities to builders in the DAO and builders in the DAO to opportunities in the ecosystem the better. Also nice to see an external team that has a history with the team come back to contribute - props to @Kirsten and TalentLayer for that.

I would love to see an open community call to discuss this proposal if you’re up for that?

Some clarifications/questions/ideas all bundled into one (might be easier to answer on community call or another call!)

1. What’s the legal picture here? Where does liability lie (TalentLayer/Foundation) What, if any legal responsibility resides with the DAO (Foundation)?
  2. Who controls the parameters of the contracts? Could this be set-up in a way where the members are able to govern the % splits to the DAO/contributor etc. (maybe locking the agreed % for TalentLayer), giving the community more things to govern like this could be cool
  3. What chains is this deployed on? Wonder if there is a grant opportunity here with a specific L2 to bring our bounties/members to their ecosystem.
  4. I’d like to see CODE provided alongside each bounty or maybe as a pool distributed across all folks who redeem a bounty overtime so we’re getting Governance power into the hands of builders as well as cold hard $$$$
  5. Wasn’t clear if a % of each bounty was flowing back to the treasury not not. I think it should personally to help fund more opportunity in the DAO.
  6. Need to update this proposal to use the correct template :slight_smile:

Love this. I reached out to Joe mostly about general DD <> ARB alignment opportunities, rather than this initiative in particular. Maybe worth us all syncing and maybe all speaking with him?

2 Likes

Love the idea, I believe this will super useful for many developers looking for improve their skills and get paid at the same time :top:

Responding here to a few comments above! Want to thank you all for your thoughts and ideas on how to make this project even more valuable for the DAO.

Responding to Narb

• Will bounty payouts and disputes be handle solely by TalentLayer? What are the risks (if any) associated to D_D?

Great question.

For payments, these are handled at the protocol-level by TalentLayer, NOT by Developer DAO.

For disputes, as a default right now, disputes as an option is “turned off” in the interface. If you want to turn them on, theres a few options that are possible depending on what the DAO wants:
a. Developer DAO handles the dispute between the bounty poster and dev
b. TalentLayer handles the dispute between bounty poster and dev
c. The dispute is sent to Kleros court, where it is ruled on by a jury

We should discuss which option is best for the DAO.

• Regarding the monetization model, what are the exact numbers behind listing fees? Is it a flat fee or does it vary depending on the number of postings/level of complexity of the bounty? Say i’m an org who wants to post 10 bounties, will i have to pay a fee on each of the 10 I post or do I get a discounted rate since i’m posting in bulk?

Fees are configurable by Developer DAO on a few levels:

• Flat Fee to Post Bounty: Charge bounty-posters a fee in order to post.
  • Percentage Fee on Transaction: Charge a percent fee on any bounties that are paid out to developers.
  • Fee for Sponsored Bounty Post: Charge a flat fee for organizations to have their posts ranked at the top of bounty search results (like Google ads).

Each of these above fees can be any amount and any percentage. The DAO needs to determine what it thinks is reasonable based on it’s goals. For reference, most freelance and bounty marketplaces cost 10% to 20% total on posts. I personally think this is too high, but you can do something close to that without it being “out of the ordinary”. If it were me I’d shoot for between 5% and 10%. For the other fees, I don’t recommend charging at all to post (since people will already have to buy an NFT or $CODE if they are posting since that’s required). For the sponsored post fee, that’s up to @mannyornothing

There are a few other fees to think about in the platform that are not configurable:

• 2% fee going to BuilderPlace (entity: 44 Labs OU, run by the TalentLayer team) to cover hosting and maintenance. BuilderPlace is a white-label bounty board infra we built to create platforms like this one for D_D.
  • 1% fee going to the TalentLayer DAO treasury for using the protocol.
  • Are bounty payments and fees only transacted in crypto? Is fiat an option?

Right now the only option is ERC-20s or ETH. We’re planning to add fiat on/offramp as an option as an upgrade in the near future. Generally account abstraction and fiat support are our main priorities for ongoing improvements.

• Which sub-dao (or champions) will be leading this from the D_D end? Just Manny?

That’s a question for Manny :slight_smile:

• Is there a set term for the agreement between D_D and TalentLayer? What does the contract look like essentially?

There’s no contract or written agreement, but if the DAO prefers we can make one. Basically the terms are we provide the Developer DAO Bounty Board as described in the post, hosted on BuilderPlace, with the specific features for D_D included above. We take a 2% fee on transactions + a 1% fee that’s normally levied at the protocol-level of TalentLayer.

Responding to @kempsterrrr

1. What’s the legal picture here? Where does liability lie (TalentLayer/Foundation) What, if any legal responsibility resides with the DAO (Foundation)?

Standard disclosure: I’m not a lawyer and none of this is legal advise.

Responsibility for illegal content: How platform law works (at least in the US - not sure where u are based legally?) is it’s a platform’s responsibility for what is posted on it from an illegal content standpoint. In this case, 44 Labs OU (TL’s entity) is hosting the platform, so our entity would be liable.

Responsibility for earning from illegal things: This falls on everyone making money, which is both 44 Labs OU and D_D if you turn on fees.

What we recommend to avoid bad things: You have the ability to remove posts on your platform. We recommend reviewing posts on a semi-regular basis and if something doesn’t align with the terms you want to set, then hide the post. If you are very concerned about this, we can add a feature where posts don’t display at all until approved by an admin. LMK if this is something needed.

• Who controls the parameters of the contracts? Could this be set-up in a way where the members are able to govern the % splits to the DAO/contributor etc. (maybe locking the agreed % for TalentLayer), giving the community more things to govern like this could be cool

So, as described in the prior section I mentioned on fees, there’s a LOT of configurability for how you monetize the platform. Aside from the fee configuration, you can of course determine how you plan to allocate revenues from the bounty board (although this would just be on your own treasury management side) like “let’s put 1/2 of revenues to funding educational programs, and 1/2 to funding scholarships” or whatever the DAO wants. :slight_smile:
We’d be happy to in writing lock the amount for TalentLayer in a contract, but we can’t do that technically in the protocol.

• What chains is this deployed on? Wonder if there is a grant opportunity here with a specific L2 to bring our bounties/members to their ecosystem.

Right now the only chain the platform will support is Polygon - this is because TalentLayer itself (which operates as the backend of the platform) is only deployed on Polygon.

Can we deploy other places and close some grants along with it?

Short answer:

This sounds awesome, let’s figure out how to make it happen, but also it’s a bit complicated from a tech side XD.

Long answer:

If we deploy on a new place, it’s TalentLayer itself that’d need to be deployed there. This causes technical complexity with cross-chain issues (as TalentLayer has on-chain reputation and bounty posts in addition to transactions - meaning all this needs to be synced across chains). This is why we’ve only supported one chain to date. With that said, we are looking to deploy more places this year and start to overcome the multi-chain issue, but I’m just saying this to explain that it’s not something we can do in a day and have it work. There are some “hacky” solutions to support different chains only for payments (that can involve building swapping integrations) but that also has a lot of tech complexity.

What would be great is if we can close a substantial joint-grant to covering our engineering efforts to deploy to a new place + give an incentive for Developer DAO to now support payments for your bounties on that chain.

• I’d like to see CODE provided alongside each bounty or maybe as a pool distributed across all folks who redeem a bounty overtime so we’re getting Governance power into the hands of builders as well as cold hard $$$$

LOVEEE this idea. Luckily all bounties are recorded on-chain, so that would just be a matter of getting data on the wallets who have done bounties and airdropping them code.

• Wasn’t clear if a % of each bounty was flowing back to the treasury not not. I think it should personally to help fund more opportunity in the DAO.

See the comments on fees earlier in this reply. Short answer is yes as long as u configure it to be so.

• Need to update this proposal to use the right template

Oooh thanks. Will do.

Responding to ntindle

• Want to know a bit about if it’s self sustaining.

Can you explain more what you mean about self-sustaining?

From a maintenance standpoint, it will be hosted and updated by TalentLayer’s team. These have recurring monthly costs, which we will cover.

From a user perspective, as more people become aware of the marketplace, ecosystems will be able to come and post directly on their own, without talking to the D_D team (as long as they hold the proper D_D NFT or amount of $CODE to be a member). On this side, it should be “self-sustaining” after it gets off the ground from a public awareness level.

Responding to 0xThresh (i already responded on Twitter but will repost here)

1. read-only channel for new bounties posted: brilliant idea. this is easy to build as a bit.
  2. the tagging system is already default in the platform. I love the idea to have custom notifs for ppl who self-enroll in different roles in Discord.
    @spanish_vanish is our resident discord bot builder and has made similar things before.

I think I covered all open questions in this big blob of text haha. If I missed anything let me know. Thanks again for all the amazing engagement here - really excited about how this can bring a lot more opportunities to DAO members and stoked to work on it with you all.

4 Likes

Thanks! You covered my question

1 Like

The Developer DAO Bounty Board

Authors: mannyornothing Kirsten (TalentLayer)

This is the official proposal up for consideration and an official vote by the DAO.

View the discussion from the last stage of the proposal here.

Summary

This proposal outlines the implementation and management of the Developer DAO Bounty Board. The goal is to create a user-centric platform that allows D_D members and the broader community to access quality open-source bounty opportunities posted by D_D partner organisations. In order to post on the Developer DAO Bounty Board, organisations must be Developer DAO members. The proposal also details planned features and a monetization model to help the DAO generate recurring revenue fees.

Motivation

Bringing earning opportunities to DAO members

The Developer DAO Bounty Board will be a place where DAO members can go to access a wide range of open-source bounties so they can get hands-on experience and earn money while doing it.

Scaling Developer DAO’s bounty program

Previously we have been manually managing bounties for individual organisations. This takes a lot of administrative time. We get a lot of inbound requests from organisations that want to post bounties for DAO members, but we don’t have the capacity to service them all when we have to do posts, publicity, and payments manually. Because of this, a lot of bounties that could be available to DAO members never happen.

The Developer DAO Bounty Board will help us scale our bounties program and create an easy place for organisations to post bounties themselves, as long as they are DAO members. This will convert the steady stream of requests for sponsoring bounties into REAL and accessible opportunities for DAO members.

Bringing engaging activities for new DAO members

One of the biggest challenges for the DAO is engaging new members after they are onboard. When new DAO members arrive, but don’t see anything “actionable” they can do to contribute, they get demotivated and deprioritize DAO participation.

If we have open-source bounties available consistently for new DAO members to work on, we can instantly engage new members and keep them coming back to the DAO repeatedly; a growing community.

Creating new revenue streams for the DAO

Developer DAO will have the ability to configure fees of various types on the Developer DAO Bounty Board. This can generate consistent and growing revenue for the DAO as more people use the bounty board.

Scope of Work

Domain of Operations & Team

Domain:
Management and maintenance of the Developer DAO Bounty Board and promotion of the board to potential bounty sponsor organisations.

Team:
kirsten (DAO Member, Executive Lead at TalentLayer) - Responsible for managing development and maintenance of the Developer DAO Bounty Board, and assisting with onboarding bounty sponsor organisations.

talentlayer (External Organization) - Responsible for the development and maintenance of the Developer DAO Bounty Board

kempsterrrr & mannyornothing - Responsible for supporting publicity and partnerships.

OKRs

BUILD
O1 The Developer DAO Bounty Board platform is launched Owner
KR The platform is live and accessible to D_D members to post bounties on and search for opportunities with. Kirsten
KR The platform receives updates and additional features as needed. Kirsten
BUILD
O2 Bounties are being consistently posted on the platform Owner
KR A publicity schedule is defined and implemented to boost awareness of the Bounty Board across potential bounty sponsor organisations. kempsterrrr
KR A team is discussing bounty sponsor partnerships with organisations, and assisting them to post to the platform. kempsterrrr / mannyornothing
BUILD
O3 DAO Members are aware of bounty opportunities Owner
KR A publicity schedule is defined and implemented to boost awareness of the Bounty Board across DAO members and other developers. kemspterrrrr
KR A bot is created for the Developer DAO Discord to post all new bounties in a feed for DAO members to access easily. kirsten
GOVERN
O4 The Bounty Board is generating revenue for the DAO Owner
KR A pricing model is determined and implemented on the Bounty Board. mannyornothing

Written Scope of Work

Product Summary

The Developer DAO Bounty Board will be a full bounty and grants marketplace with a web 3 native user experience. It will be built using BuilderPlace, a white-label TalentLayer-based bounty board builder. It will be able to be hosted on a custom domain or subdomain of Developer DAO. It will have the Developer DAO colour pallet and logo on the site.

Features Summary

Token Gating: Only Developer DAO members can post jobs (NFT holder or a wallet holding enough $CODE)

Featured posts: Developer DAO can charge bounty sponsors for featured posts that rank at the top of the bounties page. This can be managed in the admin centre of the platform.

Monetization: Various fees can be configured on the bounty board through the admin centre including:

1. Percentage fees on transactions
  2. Fees to post jobs

Seal of Approval for D_D members: Developer DAO members will rank higher in applications for bounties, and will have a seal of approval on their profile in the platform.

Services Summary

The TalentLayer community (acting as BuilderPlace under 44 Labs OU) will provide the following services ongoing to the DAO to support the Bounty Board.

• Hosting
  • Maintenance (updating code, removing bugs)

Expansion

Additional features, programmes, or other expansions can be detailed in further proposals. We expect this to be an ongoing project for years to come and there will surely be improvements to be made outside the scope of this proposal.

Budget Request (Including value returned to the DAO)

Value Returned to the DAO:

The Developer DAO Bounty Board can have fees configured by the DAO to generate revenue for the treasury and value accrual for $CODE and Developer DAO NFTs.

Transaction Fees: A configurable percentage fee that comes out of any bounty pay-out payments made on the platform.

Posting Fees: A fee for posting bounties.

Sponsored post fees: A fee charged to companies to highlight their post at the top of bounty results.

Increased demand for $CODE and D_D NFTs: Because you must be a D_D member to post bounties, any organisation who wants to post bounties must purchase either an NFT or $CODE. This generates buy pressure which should support the value of each asset.

Budget Requested

We request a budget of 35,000 CODE from the DAO treasury for the following purposes:

Bounty pool: 30,000 CODE

CODE will be issued to all bounties as an extra incentive. The specifics of this have not been worked out yet so we’re requesting enough to allow for experimentation. Any unused CODE would be returned to the Treasury or factored into any future budget.

Reward for TalentLayer Contribution: 5,000 (agreement to hold and participate in Governance for 12 months)

Address to send budget - 0x81B3E58186E40c3143eEdE1eac88eedfC7cFeb5F (TalentLayer DAO Multisig)

Fee Split 44 Labs OU (Managed by TalentLayer Community)

44 Labs OU will receive a non-configurable 2% fee on payment transactions. This is intended to cover development, hosting, and maintenance of the platform.

Drawbacks

• 35,000 CODE cost to the Treasury
1 Like