RFC: D_D Translation tools

Thanks for your attention and interest in our plan.

–Would you reward other participants? eg: QA

In Developer DAO, most questions are answered by team members, moderators, and DAO members. Team members and moderators should handle questions on duty. How to incentivize DAO members is our target.
The challenging issue of Q&A is hard to qualify. We cannot follow the same way of Translation Reward. Building a separate forum or webpage for Q&A is not convenient and unnecessary. The best place is Discord with bots in my mind. But I do not have a sustainable idea now. I am not sure how to prevent cheating Q&A records.

–How do you vet participants? Maybe take a lean approach (ie give small task to start)?
I don’t want to qualify translators, which may discourage members. From my experience, the high-quality translation should not be required and set as a standard. Reaching entry or medium level is enough. Just spread DAO knowledge in an understandable way. Those willing to mess up will receive a penalty and reporters get rewards for their justice.

When I meant a separate “thing” for QA, I was meaning an interface to provide translation, not notifications. For notifications, yes, maybe Discord is fine.

For actual translation, the user should have an app. Friction must be minimized. I think OP was considering a Chrome extension.

Sorry if I misunderstood you

I think what @daodir meant by “QA” is “Quality Assurance”, not “Questions and Answers”.

1 Like

ohhhh, I see. I thought you mean Question and Answer :smiley: haha

Since NEAR already has grants for translations, does it make sense for us to collaborate and do a pilot project or something to test how the reward system would work? Do you know a ballpark of how much the grant would be?

Oh… haha… yes @lintonye . Quality Assurance

Well NEAR doesn’t have specifically set out grants for translations per se… its just something that was a discussion during my call with one of their team members. I suggest you poke around the eco, and then just apply with your project/product. Check out the fellowships as well at near.university.

Thanks. I just had a quick look at the fellowships which look interesting. However, I think what we are looking for here is a bit different. We would just provide a tool rather than doing the actual translation. I think the goal is to verify the reward system. It might be easier with the grants that NEAR might have for translators – or does it make sense?

Also @daodir since you are already involved in the community, do you mind having an initial discussion with key members and/or make an introduction?

Yes, that makes sense. Does this project need funding for building/testing the app? Or Once built, will it be free to use/install? Then someone like me could apply for a grant to setup a translation project.

I will make some intros yes… give me a few days

As other D_D projects, this tool is for public good and will be free and open source. There will be some operational cost (see above RFC), although minimal, I expect it to be covered by D_D treasury.

With that said, funding for building/testing the app would definitely be helpful. I’m not sure though how external funding would work in the context of D_D projects. Like, would we get some grants from NEAR and somehow this remains a D_D project? Maybe through some kind of partnership? I’d be happy to explore this within D_D and NEAR if you could make an introduction.

Awesome! I created a thread on Discord and we could use it for logistics discussions.

Let’s keep technical discussions here in this post for organization purpose.

I’m going to need your help to get into Discord as I was unable to purchase an NFT (some tech issue a while back). I tried to fix it but never got a response from the team. So now, I’m not a Discord member. You will need to invite me. My Discord is MJ#0001

hmm… I don’t think it’s going to work even if I send you the invite link. Right now holding an NFT is required to access the Discord server. This will change and new membership will be supported once the governance token is launched early next year. Check out this post: Governance Token Proposal - Request for Feedback

Can you not send a msg to one of the admins? I’m sure they can invite me on

No sorry. It’s enforced by a bot. I’ve seen similar discussions. Even if we add you manually, you’d see yourself being removed by the bot automatically. With the launch of the governance token, we’d be able to open up the membership again. By then I can vouch for you which would proceed for community approval (at least that’s what I think how things are gonna work)

Ugh… bot overlords have already taken over

Nah, I interpret this as being fair to everyone. Some people sold their NFTs or bought one from secondary market and cannot access the server either, since that’s the rule decided by the community.

With that said, the DAO is working hard to open up new memberships and I believe it’d do so in a fair manner.

Oh well, I think we are a bit off topic here. :slight_smile:

Hmm… I can no longer edit the post. Wanted to add a Milestones section. Please comment below.

Milestones

Milestone 0: Inception

• Proof of concept (done)
  • RFC (in progress)
  • Figure out how to cover operational cost

Milestone 1: Basic workflow

Goal: create a usable tool so that we could start testing it in real uses.

• Editing interface:
    • (properly) extract content
    • Editing interface for scrollable content
  • Who initiates publishing to Arweave?
  • Integrate arweave.js
  • Link to translated pages from the original page
  • Maybe ask contributors to manually enter their names and save them to Firestore so that we can retrospectively add them once we figure out milestone 2.

Milestone 2: Recognize contributions on-chain

• Integrate with identity
    • contributors to login with wallets?

Milestone 3: Reward contributions & improve accuracy

• How to incentivize contributions? Atomic NFC etc.
  • Other roles, such as QA
2 Likes

thanks! i think it’s very nice!