Job Board Concept

Overall, I do think we should be leaning towards more of a web3 model since we’re focusing on the DAO ecosystem.

The individual seeking work on the site should be our first class entity, and, in the spirit of web3 / decentralization / individuals over corporations, we should be helping a user build a profile that they take with them everywhere - implicitly or explicitly they will be giving us access as they build such a profile on their site, but if they wanted to make use of that data elsewhere, it would be available as it’s theirs not ours.

This is one of the early things that got me looking at the utopian prospect of crypto - users truly owning their own data and the winning applications are really just the optimal UI/UX’s for accessing the user’s own data or putting that data to use. IDX seem to be talking about that kind of thing, and I’m sure there are other options as well.

To tie back to the job board, I think we take an early stance on enabling the job seeker (developers like us) to build their personal profile of data that lives on $PLATFORM (insert chosen platform here) and that is used but not bound to $DEVDAOJOBS.

6 Likes

@gjsyme Love that idea. Count me in for this!

This is surely an amazing idea. I am convinced. :wink:

Love the idea of a job board. While we invest in building a future solution, I think we could quickly spin one up on pallet.xyz also - for example - here is Bankless’ job board https://pallet.xyz/list/bankless/jobs

For what it’s worth, ran into some real issues trying to get a decentralized ID based solution with the ceramic stack. If anyone can figure that out, it’d be great, but we can certainly work without one for the job board.
From some discussions / early looks at other job boards, I could see the general structure being a landing page, a worker portal, and employee portal, and some manner of admin portal (doesn’t need to be so obvious or necessarily even accessible from the actual landing page).

• Worker: Manage personal profile, search/browse job openings
  • Employer: Manage corporate profile, list/manage job openings, review workers that have expressed interest and initiate contact with them in some way.
  • Admin: Whatever it turns out we need to be able to do…

This is all based upon what I’ve see on the outside of job boards, I haven’t actually been on the employer side of sites nor managed a profile. Very much open to feedback.

My stack inclination is very much towards Next/Chakra frontend to be consistent in D_D projects. Backend some manner of conventional database with whatever for API layer.

2 Likes

Read the functionalities which this website will provide and I think it’ll cover all the necessities and requirements it needs to be.
Talking about the tech stack, I do feel the same and am also experienced with Chakra UI and Nextjs, so I’ll be happy to contribute in any of the ways.
For the backend, I’d like to propose Supabase.

Am I making a mistake by thinking that the concept of the job board also depends on our mission?

If so we could start with a very generic job board (I’ve written 2 so far :slight_smile: and can think of open sourcing them, although they are written in Elixir and Ruby) and than with time mold it into something unique of our own.

Thus there would be no need to discuss now the concept. Let’s just have any job board.

Also there are for sure numerous open source job boards out there.

I love the idea of having a job board to connect web3 devs with work opportunities! here are just some ideas I have -

Separate the job board into 2 sections:

1. A section for companies to post roles they are actively hiring for (e.g. normal recruiting platform like LinkedIn jobs section)

2. A section for companies/individuals to post web3 tasks they need help with and/or for devs to offer their services (e.g. Fiverr/Upwork)

The reason behind suggesting having these 2 sections is because there are web3 developers with different levels of expertise. Those who are more experienced can use section (1) to find work opportunities; those who are still learning the ropes can offer their help in section (2) to gain more expertise and build their reputation in the meantime.

Hey everyone. I love the idea of creating a job board. This was actually an idea I started thinking about a few months ago and registered wedevcrypto dot com with that intent. I would love to contribute my writing, marketing, and design talents. web3makers dot com is available btw.

I’m doing a bunch of stuff in web3:

centinl dot com - portfolio tracker
canvassi dot com - painting app with NFT baked in
cryptoscamwatch dot org - a Wikipedia for rug pulls and scams
I’m also the maker of https://daodir.co and listed this DAO here: Developer DAO - daodir.co

see all my web3 stuff at wedevcrypto dot com

A little about me: I’m a marketer, ux designer, writer, founder, biz dude.

2 Likes

RE: marketplaces and job boards… its tricky because if you get lots of developers but no projects, your DAU will drop off. If you only get project funders, and no makers, then it also dies.

The trick is to populate both sides of the market with members and gradually bump up membership.

I would probably do a closed invite-only with 1000 makers, and 100 projects… and then slowly increase signups over time.

The upwork model where participants can freely interact works well and is already proven.

To make it web3-ish, probably want to make it pseudonymous for everyone, and then use a crypto contract where the funder has to lock up funds (crypto of course) and then has x days to find/source talent. Talent doesn’t get paid until some pre-determined milestone that both parties agree to.

Contracts that fall apart, reputation, fake accounts, etc, is an obvious issue that isn’t easy to address either.

Not trying to FUD, just thinking it through.

1 Like

Dropping my thoughts on potential solution for job board.

As mentioned by @daodir , the main challenge with any marketplace platform is the fact that the platform is only valuable if you have traction on both sides of the marketplace.

i.e. Job seekers will only use it if it has jobs and companies will only use it if it has job seekers.

Here is how I see that we could solve this.

Most companies of any scale use 1 out of about 4/5 applicant tracking systems which come with built in job boards that all have the same HTML mark-up. This means that by building 4/5 web scrapers you can build your own job data pipeline for most of the companies out there.

Many successful job boards built there product in this way, two examples:

This solves the two-sided marketplace challenge, at least in-terms of getting job onto the platform.

My concept expanded goes like this:

• As a community, we curate profiles for companies in the web3 and crypto space that basically solves the research challenges job seekers have when considering companies to work for:
    • Summary of what the company does + history
    • Funding situation
    • Key people in the team
    • Articles out there about them
    • Projects they’ve deployed
    • Social and web3 links
    • Statistics taken from LinkedIn like number of employers, D&I statistics etc.
    • On-chain statistics from their product (Easily automatable)
    • and probably loads of other stuff I can’t think about
  • We then scrape the jobs from their careers pages ever day and link to them on their company profile
  • and use the network effect of the DAO to promote the board to attract applicants
  • We track users and clicks on companies profiles pages and job postings and then once we have traction email those companies and go "Hey, we have sent XXX number of people to your careers page, fancying paying XXX (on-chain) to enrich the info on your profile or promote your jobs (less a fan of paying for outright promotion but an option)
  • Whilst we do all this we can also build in more Web3 functionality, for example the on-chain resume concept that has been discussed here and in discord.

My thoughts are this would mean we can create and grow a job board build quickly and simply. Once it has traction we can then re-evaluate everything and potential build 1-to-1 integrations with job board providers, apps to allow companies to manage jobs and applications (even without their own job board that we’re scraping/ingesting from an API).

This is not the most Web3 approach however I believe it would have more impact in the short-to-medium term and help deliver on our mission, values and goals.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this. Written in a bit of a hurry so excuse any spelling and grammar :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This sounds like an excellent idea for general job seekers.

Also, many people in the DAO itself and from outside would probably love to contact devs from the DAO directly.

That is, they probably prefer posting their own opportunities (sometimes they aren’t even companies but tiny startups/projects), so I’d recommend building a way to allow people to do that.

This would make it more like a freelance site, so we’d have to think about building a reputation system for both job seekers and employers/job posters like @daodir (we could use the on-chain resume concept and proof-of-skill projects for that).

Finally, I’m already trying to build a small website for the project and push to the DAO Job Board repo. We probably need a tiny MVP and go from there - what do you guys think?

PS: I’m 100% with @WAGMI_jpeg with the 2 job-board sections.

I love all the details you suggest @kempsterrrr about data to collect on companies. This is valuable insight. Crowdsourcing is the way.

So a question about scraping: my initial thought is that’s a lot of garbage collection and management. I’m unsure if that’s a good or bad thing. Yes, it populates, but also how does the platform deal with all the noise? Sounds like a soul-sucking job to clean/prune.

Also, are there many devs looking for work in web3 and can’t find? I would guess there is a always latent demand and engineers are in short supply and so the job board doesn’t need to put in any effort. If companies want talent, they will show up.

Or maybe I don’t understand market forces fully as I’m not a Dev.

Do Dev’s want more choice, lower quality (assumably the case with scraping) or less choice and more curation?

On a related note, I got this email just a while back: Weekly Jobs Update - 28 Oct, 2021 - by Cryptocurrency Jobs - Cryptocurrency Jobs

MOAR: Cryptocurrency Jobs on Substack

100% @angel. Yes, not all projects will be f/t jobs, many will show up as small gigs.

My votes is for letting companies populate on their own manually, with an optional auto-scrape (for $ of course) if they have a career page.

One consideration from a mission-alignment perspective to focus on web3 growth could be to validate companies/protocols to ensure they are in fact a web3 project, in order to minimize risks that web2 dev shops take advantage of such a job board. One way could be to confirm association with sites like Everest which also contains some profile info that @kempsterrrr lists above.

1 Like

I like this idea, especially the secondary part which I think could be extremely useful.

I know that personally I have struggled to find help with things that I would have loved to have what amounts to basically a pre-screened, or at least a higher quality pool of potential applicants/workers to choose from, in the membership of this DAO.

Might be a cool idea to incorporate something that allows for the members within the DAO to link up with one another on paid projects if people are open to it, with an agreement that a small percentage of whatever the agreed upon fees/payment arrangement could be donated to the DAO treasury. Or a fee paid on the listing posts from those looking to hire someone.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but I’ve seen an NFT idea for a billboard, where people pay to change the content displayed. This is the tweet that explains the idea https://twitter.com/dbuidl/status/1444226250281717761
This is the board itself https://thebillboard.vercel.app/
The board/boards could be tweaked to make it a job board rather than a regular billboard
This could be a low-effort way to generate some revenue for the treasury.

can we embed this on the website? are we ok with embedding this on the website?

1 Like