How we move forward as a DAO - Season 0

Yes. If we are going to act as a Service DAO, a unit making contact with other DAOs is basic. But I would steal the idea from Braintrust: If anyone gets a contact, and that contact makes a deal, you get a share of that deal.

4 Likes

The above ideas are excellent. In addition to these, I would like to share some ideas as well.

First of all, I think bootcamps would be a powerful idea to educate the community. It would be great if this was run by experienced DAO members. Also, these bootcamps donā€™t have to be just about web3. There are some very talented web2 developers among us who can manage and train small cohorts as leaders.

For this, I thought of a 4-stage system like universities. When i say bootcamp, i mean just a roadmap. We donā€™t have to create an actual live bootcamp. In the age of information, itā€™s really hard to find verified and organized information. Thatā€™s why, i belive if we create information base and set some project deadlines for each group and have some office hours with experienced members that would be sufficient. We can open some notion page or some spesific page in our website. As i said, all we need to do is verifiying resources. For example, if grand masters approve some roadmap like this for group 2:

1. Complete this book https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Ethereum-Building-Smart-Contracts/dp/1491971940

2. Finish cryptozombies

3. Learn truffle from this articles ā€¦

4. Read these articles ā€¦

5. Complete 2 dapp with team

Then this verified roadmap will be a bootcamp for that level one quarter of the year long.

1) Absolute Beginners

We need to train applicants at this level first at the web2 level. We can collectively give this group the development of tools that we will use in the dao, by giving simple projects on both backend and frontend. In addition to the above tasks, people who are included in this bootcamp focus on this issue for 3 months, being in the community and have the opportunity to support open source projects. In the meantime, these group/groups are mentored by experts in their fields and their progress is recorded in weekly or twice-weekly meetings.

For example, we can have this group write the question bank application. Everyone collects the questions that come to mind in this bank, and the most asked questions win more DBUCKS with an upvote system like reddit.

Tasks

• Start learning web2
  • Complete bootcamp
  • Complete projects

Abilities

• Beginner

2) Web3 Beginners

This group would be perfect for people who already have web2 experience and want to learn web3. The task of the people in this group is both to mentor the 1st group and to learn web3 in new projects with the help of the mentors in the upper group. From this level we can form groups to gather around bounties and hackathons to support tokenomics. For example, we can participate in hackathons with groups of 5-10 people and transfer some of the income to mentors and some to the treasury. The bootcamp of this level will proceed in the same way.

For example, letā€™s plan that we are making a tool that visualizes the gas fees in solidity contracts (it will show the fees that the functions will spend as in the example). The tools to be used in this tool, the development of web3 tools to be used in the dao and the decentralization of the applications made by the 1st group may be the responsibility of this group.

Tasks

• Mentor absolute beginners
  • Complete bootcamp
  • Complete projects

Abilities

• Expert on web2

3) Web3 Mid-Level

Starting with this group, we can start to produce projects and solve real world problems. What this group has developed can be used to develop both the DAO economy and their own personal economy. This group should now consist of people who have produced several projects on web3. Their responsibilities should be to mentor a subgroup and make a presence there by participating in hackathons. Again, there should be senior level web3 experts above this group. This group can collect rewards by participating in hackathons with their work. They should be made up of small groups, presenting their presence in different hackathons on Gitcoin, and engage in an active development process by meeting every few days. In addition, differentiations may begin from this group. Groups that want to work on Defi, nft groups, dapp groups can be established in different areas according to the project proposals.

For example, a decentralized advertising network in the logic of buysellads. Decentralized delivery of both social media ads and advertisements in the website domains between publishers and advertisers. Example scenario: the advertiser likes a certain social media account or site. It stakes eth to advertise here. The request is forwarded to the publisher. If the publisher rejects the ad offer, the eth stake is broken and the fee is deducted and sent back to the advertiser. If the publisher accepts, eth is staked in one of the liquidity pools. During this period (1 month, 1 week etc) advertisements are tracked and analytics data is collected. As a result of the tracking, if the requested amount of advertising is completed, the eth is transferred to the publisherā€™s address. (I will create a detailed proposal for this project)
Tasks

• Mentor web3 beginners
  • Complete bootcamp
  • Join Hackathon

Abilities

• Can create more complex dapp

4) Web3 Grand Masters

This group should act as the core engineering team. DAOā€™s layer 2 solutions, flagship projects such as defi and NFT derivatives should be developed by this group. In addition, this group should guide the first 3 levels and provide mentorship according to the demands of these people. In return, they should receive a considerable reward from the treasury. Those who complete the first 3 stages should be entitled to take part in these flagship projects. With the work of this group, we can also participate in accelerator programs and grant programs.
Tasks

• Mentor and verifiy bootcamp resources
  • Create new complex dapp for DAO (like Defi, Layer 2 etc.)
  • Apply grants

Abilities

• Grand master of web3

I know itā€™s a little bit messy but i would like to hear your ideas about open bootcamp concept. I believe we can educate tons of users with this approach and if we think more on that, we can have better ideas and better structure for educating people. And of course, we need to know more information about members levels and passions.

11 Likes

I really like this! very chewable and pragmatic. It leaves room for non-planned tasks during a season, but incentivizes individuals to work towards the stated goals and having the DAO put itā€™s money where itā€™s mouth is.

2 Likes

I really like the general idea of this, and provides a way for new-comers to gain experience and become more entrenched in the community. However, I would suggest staying away from rigid requirements for an individual to ā€œgraduateā€ to the next stage. (not that you were really implying that.)

I think the larger value of the system you described, is that through this general roadmap of education, we can develop a set of bets practices and wiki of resources to allow quicker onboarding and ā€œmental-shiftā€ from web2 ā†’ web3.

As these resources become solidifed, people new to the dao and looking to tackle a task will have an easier time figuring out what tools the community suggests/uses and how the different building blocks of web3 can be combined, which isnā€™t always obvious to new comers.

3 Likes

STARTUPS (idea from thecryptodiver, adapted for the Season concept)
Starting every Season, any Dev can put out a proposal for a project.
Every Dev votes on the project that they are interested in & would like to work on.
Voting closes 2nd week of the month.
Based on the number of votes, we choose the top 3 projects to work on for the whole Season. Devs can join one of the elected projects to work on it.
At the end of the Season, we present the finished startups.

4 Likes

This is great. There is a UX DAO that applies a variation of the idea.
When a project in announced, there is an assigned Expert, and members can apply to work in that project according to some specified tasks:

1. Shadow (just watch and learn)
  2. Take notes (gets paid)
  3. Do interviews (gets paid)
  4. etc, etc (gets paid)
    Each step of the process is defined, and members can volunteer for certain assignments. And they start advancing in levels, as you propose.
4 Likes

@ddadybayo.eth shared that DAO in the mod chatā€¦ think this is what youā€™re referring too @Erik_Knobl - Introduction - Skill Attestation Protocol

3 Likes

This stuff is so exciting!!

I would also add as flagship project (I think I havenā€™t read it anywhere):

A self-made course platform. It would be cool to build a decentralized web platform where experts and then everyone from the DAO can add courses and be rewarded for it.

It could also be a nice way to be known among developers and to start earning as a DAO.

4 Likes

My guess, processes, as a bear minimum need to be documented. ( key words: governance, transparency, consistency, efficiency, FAQ, how to, contributorā€™s guide, etc.) Donā€™t think that function can be fulfilled by commented code.

Apart from that, more generally, builders need documentation.

2 Likes

Around:

• How we recognise and reward contributions
  • How we fund the Treasury
  • $DBUCKS tokenomics and distribution plan

We really need to have the conversation with seedclub to understand what the scope of that engagement is - assuming we pursue it and get it.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about something similar, except in my mind instead of a core engineering team we have a core open source team. The idea to me is that if we train a group of people in filling various open source roles (like maintainers, triage, documentation writers, etc.), we have a group of people that can start/join a project and begin to inject stability, clarity, healthy patterns, ecosystem thinking, etc.

In some ways this might just be semantic squabbling between ā€œcore engineeringā€ and ā€œopen sourceā€ (and maybe thereā€™s even a need for both!), but I think open source organizations tend to be much closer to ā€œgardenersā€ than your typical core engineering groups. Theyā€™re less about establishing concrete architecture patterns and such (though open source orgs do do that) and more about thinking about and implementing the meta infrastructure around a project that allows it to succeed:

• managing feature requests/bug reports/other issues
  • managing labels/milestones/projects
  • implementing GitHub processes so contributors know what is ready to be worked on
  • tending the web of connections between issues, discussions, PRs, etc.
  • teaching/growing users through code review
  • managing dependencies
  • growing the project and its processes over time
  • automating important things/processes
  • managing versioning, publishing, changelog creation, etc.
  • building an internal knowledge base
  • producing quality documentation as part of the process
  • running projects in the spirit of open source
  • other things I canā€™t think of rn

Some of these things will be the same for each project and some of them will be different. Having an open source org that can educate contributors allows us to provide projects with people that can help think through these various concerns in order to set up processes/automation/teams that meet the unique needs of each project.

9 Likes

You hit the nail right on the head here @with-heart and that was kinda my vision for the proposal too. I think though, at least in my head, both the ā€œengineeringā€ and ā€œopen sourceā€ teams are one and the same. We could start out as one unit and then perhaps split out into smaller units/squads after people get a feel of what they like and/or want to learn

3 Likes

Naming teams could be important in the future because it makes people more flexible in their thinking.

A content team might think about producing content and an event team might think aboutā€¦ well ā€¦doing events, but a public awareness team might do anything that helps to improve public awareness.

I know, naming things is hard, but if we named the teams by their goals and not by their skills, this could make them more flexible, more creative, and more open.

7 Likes

Another option is to have flexible/amorphous teams. People should be able to join and leave teams as they find interesting work. In my mind this would at least require a way to broadcast upcoming work for teams through the DAO (the Discord is not it), a way for teams to receive and allocate work, and a way to quickly onboard squads within a team to the work and any team culture/tooling/techniques.

Rapid onboarding might need to be the highest priority in this case, but can serve as a great blueprint for other DAOs.

5 Likes

While I agree that the majority of the DAO can come and go, we should have team leadership (or whatever term is agreed upon) that remains with an overall tasking for longer. They will be responsible for the correct deconstruction of a goal into atomic tasks that can then be accomplished by short-term contributors that are slaloming between whatever groups have tasks in need of the individualā€™s skills.

5 Likes

IMO it would be better to avoid as much hierarchical organization as possible. Instead, teams can have project managers or even just project proposers that offer up projects (need it more quickly? offer more money/tokens) and squads (amorphous groups - like a hackathon group - that come together to work on some project) can claim them. RaidGuild has a familiar process with parts that are certainly adaptable to what weā€™re doing.

correct deconstruction of a goal into atomic tasks

Itā€™s a rare case that there is just one ā€œcorrectā€ deconstruction of some goal or project. Itā€™s worth a discussion over how the DAO should do work allocation and how to enforce that methodology, but squads who pick up a project should be expected to break it down as needed.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s worth having a look at the Valve Handbook.
Valve is famously known for a very flat hierarchy and autonomous groups. Now, while I have never worked at Valve or know anyone who did to confirm how well it works for them, I do still think that the ideas in the handbook resemble to a great extend our values and also the way we try to organize ourselves.

An excerpt from the handbook :

But how do I decide which things to work on?

Deciding what to work on can be the hardest part of your
job at Valve. This is because, as youā€™ve found out by now,
you were not hired to fill a specific job description. You
were hired to constantly be looking around for the most
valuable work you could be doing. At the end of a project,
you may end up well outside what you thought was your
core area of expertise.

Thereā€™s no rule book for choosing a project or task at
Valve. But itā€™s useful to answer questions like these:

ā€¢ Of all the projects currently under way, whatā€™s the
most valuable thing I can be working on?
ā€¢ Which project will have the highest direct impact
on our customers? How much will the work I ship
benefit them?
ā€¢ Is Valve not doing something that it should be doing?
ā€¢ Whatā€™s interesting? Whatā€™s rewarding? What leverages
my individual strengths the most?

A link to the handbook: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/apps/valve/Valve_NewEmployeeHandbook.pdf

A link to the audio version :slight_smile: for the commute: https://podcast.nfx.com/episodes/valves-new-employee-handbook

7 Likes

As a beginner I really love the idea of this. I desperately want to contribute and help others learn someday.

1 Like

Late, but I just wanna say this could be a really excellent idea for a flagship project for the dao

åøŒęœ›ęˆäøŗäø­ę–‡ē¤¾åŒŗåæ—ę„æ者ļ¼Œä½†ę˜Æ英čÆ­äøå„½ļ¼ŒåŖčƒ½åšäø€äŗ›ē®€å•å·„作

1 Like