Formalizing the Operations Team - Request for Comments

Iā€™m in favor of this effort and formalizing this with a proposal after comments.
I see the ops team as a great way to help the DAO move projects forward, without duplicating effort across guild.
With some experience on this, Ops Team could also act as an advisor on emerging new teams and projects, help them organize themselves or help recruit more effort.

3 Likes

Thank you for your support Josh! <3

I agree with you completely about the importance of making sure that our DAO meetings have good hygiene, with agendas and scribes. We will absolutely need Scribes team!

Thank you for all the initiative you have taken in setting up our tooling and carrying through as an (incredible!) scribe for D_D.

In the legal realm, I/we have many meetings on these topics this week with lawyers and advisors. Getting us on a firm foundation to operate safely and protect our members is a top priority.

3 Likes

Thank you for your support <3

Helping teams effectively onboard and recruit has been an ongoing effort this year and is already bearing fruit. Looking forward to scaling up and continuing to serve our community :slight_smile:

Thanks for writing this up Ryan. I support this proposal

1 Like

Thank you for your support!

Thanks @RyanCoordinator for putting together this RFC. Iā€™m personally quite excited about the idea of an ops team because I think it will help resolve a lot of frustrations Iā€™ve had as a core team member and guild leader.

:pray:

Iā€™ve felt the why of this RFC over and over again the last few months. Since our DAO is quite large, we face significant coordination challenges to our ability to move forward in a decentralized manner.

Guilds are a great opportunity for discovering bottom-up solutions to targeted problems, but a lot of the problems that Iā€™ve felt personally as leader of the development guild have seemed to be much larger than our guild.

Our dev guild operations teams are a perfect example of that I think: we have teams for discord, onboarding, events, education, security, and more. While itā€™s good to have people autonomously exploring these areas, it also feels like itā€™s a distraction from the guildā€™s focus and that weā€™re missing a lot of opportunities to collaborate with the other guilds on these shared areas that affect the DAO as a whole.

Iā€™m hopeful that creating a central coordination team will help offload a lot of the burden that weā€™ve been carrying as a guild and elevate it to be shared by the DAO as a whole, and give these shared areas the focus and definition they deserve.

I agree with this! I made the graphic in 16 minutes during VIBES yesterday to try to add a supporting visual to the document, but it doesnā€™t fully capture how I view the Operations Team either.

I see the Operations Team as a way to decentralize power and decision-making. Currently power and decision-making is centralized primarily in the guilds (where a lot of these topics are an awkward fit). With an Operations Team, we can devolve power to an organization focused specifically on resolving a lot of these shared issues.

That doesnā€™t mean the guilds arenā€™t involved. That doesnā€™t mean that individual members arenā€™t involved. It just means that ownership of these problems belong to an organization built specifically for solving those problems. I think that will make it much more likely both that we find effective solutions to these problems and that we have the right people involved in the right processes to implement them.

1 Like

sorry I hope I didnā€™t came across too rude, totally understand that it was just a quick drawing of the idea and visualizing organizational structures is a whole thing anyways. My intention was only to confirm whether I was thinking correctly about it.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting this together.

YES on this proposal. YES on moving Developer DAO forward.

1 Like

Love this idea overall.

In context to Ops being up to date on the guilds through attending the weekly calls, would it be better for guilds to appoint a liaison to the Ops team for updates? I am concerned with team size for Ops and the mental overhead to keep things straight. I know it is good for Ops members to be involved to be able to pull out initiatives that are being duplicated or could need resources from other areas since they have the most context, but I worry about overwhelming the Ops team if it is under resourced.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. I support this as well!

1 Like

100% agree a formalized ops team would be a great way to move the DAO forward. Taking the load of figuring out various administrative/communicative tasks off the guilds should enable the guilds to focus more intently on what they do bestā€¦ building cool stuff for the rest of the DAO. Also think itā€™s smart to not have the scope of this team fully defined for season 0/1, so that the ops team can figure out exactly where/when its needed, before clarifying scope for future seasons.

1 Like

Nope, didnā€™t find it rude at all! Just wanted to share where it came from :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your support!

So far, the number of guilds has been manageable, and I personally have been able to attend all the guild weekly sync calls (which is also part of my campaign to make sure guilds all have sync calls with agendas, notes, etc. with Joshā€™s help) but as the number of guilds grows as you suggest, I agree it will become prudent to have guild ops liasons, likely the guild leads.

2 Likes

Thank you with-heart, wslyvh, josevelez.eth, and 0xMaxB for your support!
We couldnā€™t do it without you too <3

1 Like

Thanks Ryan for this.

1 Like

This why for me is the most important thing, specifically clearly assigning responsibility for tackling things that are on the critical path for the DAO to be successful at delivering on our mission, values and goals.

As the DAO has grown there has been progressively more structure introduced which has helped with decentralising responsibility for a variety of tasks. one of the best things to come out of this is the opportunity for bottom-up learning and weā€™re now in a good position to figure out the good/bad parts of the current structure, processes in various guilds, challenges faced to being honing in on improvements at the DAO level that will help us be successful now and scale as we open back up.

The faster we can deliver on the DAOā€™s foundations the faster we can decentralise decision making and enable members to freely take action, and be rewarded for it. I hope we get support for this proposal.

2 Likes

I am in full support of this proposal and appreciate all of the work that has been done thus far by everyone involved, both moderators, core team, community, and guild members.

For us to take this community to the next level, to begin achieving the goals we have set out to do, we absolutely need more organization and a few dedicated team members who can lead and be involved on a consistent basis.

Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone in this thread. Itā€™s been an awesome journey so far and Iā€™m excited to see what happens next!!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your support <3

This proposal is being advanced now to a vote here: P7: Formalizing our Developer DAO Operations Team

2 Likes

great, i am agree, just do it

In support of the operations Team