Season 0 expired on March 13. In the weeks that followed, we’ve been wrapping up loose ends, continuing on with existing initiatives, and starting a few new ones, referring to this period as an “off-season” (see: Defining off-seasons). This proposal offers a more formal definition of what we’re looking to accomplish in this off-season, prior to kicking off Season 1.
In that first proposal, I suggested a few themes that could apply to every off-season:
- Retrospectives: performed on the level of the DAO, each Guild, and/or individual projects
- Elections: may include positions within the Guilds, Operations Team, multisig signers
- Leadership transitions: ensure smooth ownership transition of tooling, procedures, etc.
- Prep for next season: e.g., voting on or preparing for the next season’s theme or priorities
- Reevaluate reward systems: gauge sentiment on whether rewards were appropriate for effort last season and make tweaks if necessary
- Rest: deliberately accomplish nothing, e.g., for a week
Off-season 0 has some unique needs beyond these themes to adequately prepare for the start of Season 1. Those are captured below.
Mission, Values, and Goals
- Routine examination of whether the language and content still matches our priorities and expectations. An amendment would go through the typical governance process.
- Each guild, project, and initiative (e.g., web3con) conducts a retrospective to reflect and iterate on what we should continue, start, or stop doing
- Ratify Early Contributor Rewards
- Reach resolution for those with compromised wallets
- Establish legal and accounting structures
- Deploy the governance token and claim site
- Establish MVP for Guilds and Projects requesting budgets
- Establish and document DAO accounting practices
- Define guild leadership positions
- Elect open positions
- Set Guild goals/focus areas for Season 1
- Create Season 1 budget
- Define DAO project requirements, e.g., RFC process, meetings, documentation, updates, etc.
- Assess each project for viability continuing into Season 1
- Fill open project positions
- Set project goals/milestones for Season 1
- Create Season 1 budget
- Define and implement the next iteration of our onboarding experience into the DAO.
- Formally define and ratify Season 1 plans and budgets via the DAO governance process.
Inevitably, this will not be a comprehensive list of activity in this off-season, and that’s fine.
When discussed in DAO calls and on the forum, there seemed to be general agreement that off-season proposals didn’t need to make their way all the way through the governance process (i.e., forum discussion → forum vote → snapshot vote). I’m in that camp for this Season 0 proposal, but believe this should be revisited as soon as an off-season introduces a reward system for activity that occurs during that period. The expectation is for season definitions to travel through that governance process, in part because they will have budgets included.
Off-seasons last until the next season begins. When we’re ready for it, a Season 1 specification post will get published on the forum and we’ll follow the DAO governance process from there. Given that no future off-seasons will need to deploy a governance token or establish accounting procedures for the first time again, it seems reasonable to expect that this off-season will go on for longer than a “typical” off-season in the future.