Defining our Rules - Season 0 - v0.1

Defining our Rules - Season 0

This thread is to be used as the discussion point for defining our rules ahead of Season 0.

Please reply with additions, suggestions, comments, questions, and any other input you may have during the next week.

We hope to have Version 1 of Rules ready for a proposal by our Town Hall at 17:00 UTC on Friday, 19 November 2021.

Introduction

We want this to be a fun, pleasant, and harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.

Logs and Records

Please be mindful that things you say here may at some point become public. We cannot prevent people from screencapping or otherwise logging this server. We also can’t guarantee that every member’s login credentials and logged-in devices are secure. Files uploaded here can be downloaded by anyone with a login. Please exercise caution and refrain from sharing sensitive information that could harm you or others if it became public.

NEVER SHARE YOUR PRIVATE KEYS

Harassment

Harassment includes:

• Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion
  • Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
  • Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names
  • Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate
  • Simulated physical contact (e.g. textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
  • Threats of violence
  • Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
  • Deliberate intimidation
  • Sustained disruption of discussion
  • Unwelcome sexual attention
  • Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
  • Publication of non-harassing private communication

Reporting

If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the admins. They’ll respond as promptly as they can.

We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.

Consequences

Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.

If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the admins may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from this server and identifying the participant publicly as someone about whom we’ve received complaints. Being a member of the DAO only requires an NFT. While holding the NFT will allow everyone entrance to the DAO community discord, it does not guarantee your persistent membership. You can and will be removed from the server for repeated violations.

7 Likes

We should define what constitutes an “admin” - we don’t have that role on discord, and we have many systems that have admin roles (or other similarly loaded titles), but nowhere have we listed who “the admins” are or how to identify them (if it’s a dynamic role).
There are words throughout (admins, expulsion from the server) that make it look like this is specific to the discord but the title makes it seem like this is generic rules (across all platforms). Can we be more clear on this and make sure we’re addressing the right scope (consequences should be across all platforms applicable, for instance).

4 Likes

I think this might warrant a quick section about wallet safety, and clicking dangerous links, since it’s a big real thing, esp with tons of spam from Discord. That said this doesn’t exactly have to do with rules and guidelines for Discord, but it’s sort of related?

I wrote a quick blurb anyway if you decide to include it (but totally get it if this is not the right place for it).

Safety
NEVER share your wallet private keys, seed phrases, or secret recovery phrases, in any situation. Do not share them with other community members, or anywhere on Discord or any other tool. If members of the DAO request for them, or links from websites, this should be reported. (TBD: To who? Maybe the #report-spam channel?)

BE EXTRA CAREFUL with DMs (Direct Messages) on Discord. Discord is known to be flooded with scams and spam bots that send you DMs with dangerous links. We use Discord Bots for various automated tasks in Discord (like verifying your NFT, issuing POAPS, communicating with the Resource Base, etc.). There are bots who may look like or act like the bots that we use, so proceed with extra caution.

• If you are unsure at any point in time, do not hesitate to post a screenshot of your DM to #get-help in Discord.
  • If you are believe you have been DMed with a scam, post it to #report-scams in Discord.
2 Likes

Fantastic point Greg! This may be a good thing for the Governance team to work on as we build out our structure

Thanks Nathan! I agree, this definitely is a section we will need to elaborate on. There have been a lot of questions regarding bots/scams in various Discord channels

This is really thorough and well put together, and an important thing for us to have made available and visible. Also consider defining this as our code of conduct?

2 Likes

I believe that MichelleBakels actually put this together and is adopted from Discord, so all credit and thanks goes her way!

Great idea, Code of Conduct sounds a lot better than Rules to me

1 Like

Awesome, let’s try to have this visible on our website once it’s relaunched, and consider other areas where we might be able to surface it

1 Like

Sounds like a plan. I believe the Community Guild has discussed this as well as Governance Guild. The idea of combining this Code of Conduct in a Proposal with some other ideas forming has been floated which may help with visibility

@joshcstein Thank you so much for writing this up :pray: So important to have these things defined and stated as early as possible when a community is growing as fast as ours!

You did a great job citing examples of what is considered harassment and covered a lot of different situations/contexts. I think we should also add a little language stating that these are examples and harassment is not limited to those cited. I just want it to be clear to folks that there will be repercussions to this type of behavior whether it’s on the list or not.

Otherwise, this looks great!

1 Like

@ryanharris I can only take credit for posting @MichelleBakels rules from Discord :slight_smile: Thank you for this feedback, I also think this is crucial to the Rules/Code of Conduct.

I will be sure to add this in to put forward for a proposal!

1 Like

I’ve implemented suggested changes from @nathanng.eth, @gjsyme, and @ryanharris

Thank you for your feedback!

1 Like