Budget Proposal: DevNTell

Budget Proposal: DevNTell

Authors: [Narb | 2669#5172]
Supporting Budget Steward(s): @kempsterrrr @colin4ward

Summary

This budget proposal seeks to compensate current and future contributors to the DevNTell series to ensure the platform continued growth and success.

Motivation

The DevNTell series is one of the most consistent and successful efforts of the Developer Guild (and DAO) since its inception in December of 2021. It’s become a weekly staple in the Developer DAO community and in some cases the first big platform for many members to showcase their work. The platform has also had the pleasure of hosting company representatives and high profile individuals looking to market and/or highlight their product such as The Graph, tea.xyz, and Ceramic Network just to name a few.

The DevNTell playlist garners the second highest volume of views on the Developer DAO YouTube channel only rivalled by the web3con recording series.

Mission, values and goals alignment

DevNTell is a 30-minute window for members of the DAO to showcase something they are passionate about or have been working on. This could be an awesome project you’ve been working on, demonstrating unit-testing best practices, automation goodies, smart contracts, how to structure a project, etc… Basically, if you’ve got a passion for something, this is your opportunity to share it with the community.

The series began as a community oriented effort to allow those without a voice on social media to be able to showcase their work to an audience and often served as the first real “big stage” for many folks to practise their pitches. DevNTell will always continue to be community first as that is the bread and butter that has made it successful. Our members are what makes us Developer DAO and they should have a stage to show the web3 community their excellence.

Brand usage

The DevNTell recordings are posted under the Developer DAO YouTube account; however, this can be expanded to other platforms too (i.e Spotify)

Scope of work

DevNTell has largely sat on my (Narb) shoulders since the beginning with me taking charge of finding speakers, hosting/recording/uploading almost all talks and creating/distributing POAPs to all attendees. This is not sustainable for the long haul assuming the platform grows like I envision it will as well as in the volunteer basis that it’s running on now. The DevNTell series has the potential to be the prominent Developer talk/showcase platform in all of web3 with an outreach that can span the entire industry.

Potential expansions of the platform include:

• Creating a podcast series that sits side by side the YouTube upload
  • Introducing ad reads for sponsors
  • Special sponsorship DevNTell bookings
  • Creating an official website for hosting and booking sessions
    • Potential bounties for this could include (but not limited to):
      • Creating the capability to upload videos to a decentralized storage solution (Arweave, Filecoin, Livepeer)
      • Adding a social component (i.e. lens protocol)
      • Creating a booking page for people to sign up for sessions
  • Web3 conference panels and “special event” DevNTells
  • Expanding to holding more then once a week sessions

Financial implications

In it’s current format DevNTell has the following work structure:

• Booking event, creating POAPs, creating distribution method for POAPs: 1 hour
  • Recording/hosting series: 0.5 hours
  • Editing/uploading content to YouTube and posting on social: 0.5 - 1 hour

But if we start implementing some of the bigger expansions mentioned in the prior section, then these numbers will start to ballon.

Budget breakdown

In this budget request, the DevNTell platform is looking for the “standard” 15 $CODE/hour allocation

Scenario 1

No changes to current DevNTell format

Role:

• 1 person who hosts/books/uploads DevNTell content

1 Person who hosts/books/uploads:
15 $CODE * 2hours contribution/week * 4weeks * 1 person = 120 $CODE per month

Scenario 2

Scenario 1 but also creating the official DevNTell website and looking to expand the DevNTell reach (i.e Spotify)

Assuming the following roles and time allocations

• 1 UX Designer at 10 hours/week
  • 3 Developers at 10 hours/week
  • 1 Product Manager at 10 hours/week
  • 1 person who hosts/books/uploads DevNTell content and explores expanding the reach of the sessions at 4 hours/week

Following the above we get the resulting $CODE allocation

1 UX Designer:
15 $CODE * 10 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 1 person = 600 $CODE per month

3 Developers:
15 $CODE * 10 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 3 people = 1800 $CODE per month

1 Product Manager:
15 $CODE * 10 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 1 person = 600 $CODE per month

1 Person who hosts/books/uploads and explores expanding the reach of the sessions:
15 $CODE * 4 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 1 person = 240 $CODE per month

Total $CODE per month = 600 + 1800 + 600 + 240 = 3240 $CODE/month

Total $CODE per season 1 = 3240 * 3 months = 9720 $CODE

Team

At the moment this is the team:

Narb - all the things

Looking to contribute?

Depending on which scenario plays out above, there might be opportunities to contribute to the creation of the official DevNTell website creation; however, in either case there are also opportunities to host official DevNTell sessions if you’re interested. DM Narb if you’d like to learn more.

Success Metrics & KPIs

Season one KPI’s/OKR’s

• Expand subscriber count for the Developer DAO YouTube account 100% month over month
  • Expand DevNTell reach by uploading content to other popular platforms (i.e Spotify)

Next Steps

There won’t be any impending changes to how DevNTell is structured at the moment; however, we can look to action on at least one of the potential items for expansion assuming there is adequate funding provided to this initiative.

Note:

In the case of a budget surplus, the excess $CODE can either go back to the treasury or be carried over to subsequent seasons

VOTE

• Yes, I support this budget application
  • No, I do not support this budget appliaction

0 voters

4 Likes

Some suggestions:
-Include specific bounties for the potential expansions. For example, the website may need basic UI design first of the landing page. That’s one bounty you can include in your budget. Once that bounty has been claimed, you can create another for the development of the website based on that design.
-It’s not clear how much $CODE you are asking for. Please be clear about it.
-How can a newcomer contribute? defining not critical tasks that can be out there for a while is a good way for newcomer to start contributing.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you for the feedback Erik! I’ll go back and revise this over the weekend to include your recommendations :slight_smile:

Added me as the supporting budget steward @Narb - is the final $CODE calculation correct- 1320 $CODE?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the support man! That 1320 was $CODE per month but have since updated the figures to come up with the following breakdown:

1 UX Designer:

3 Developers:
15 $CODE * 10 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 3 people = 1800 $CODE per month

1 Product Manager:

1 Person who hosts/books/uploads and explores expanding the reach of the sessions:
15 $CODE * 4 hours contribution/week * 4 weeks * 1 person = 240 $CODE per month

Total $CODE per month = 600 + 1800 + 600 + 240 = 3240 $CODE/month

Total $CODE per season 1 = 3120 * 3 months = 9720 $CODE

CC: @stewards

Edited to include my steward support.

1 Like

Season 1 Initiative update

tl;dr

DevNTell Budget Tracker

DevNTell hit on 3 out of the 4 milestones that it set out for itself with great success:

• DevNTell booked for calendar year as of September 12th, 2022
  • Increase YouTube subscriber count by at least 10%
  • Launch DevNTell on at least one other platform (i.e Spotify)

The initiative will not be able to deliver on the milestone of launching devntell.xyz and would like to defer it to subsequent seasons

Milestone Summary

DevNTell booked for calendar year

This was completed as of September 12th, 2022

Increase YouTube subscriber count by at least 10%

• Subscriber count on first day of Season 1: 1231
  • Subscriber count on Nov 11th: 1547
  • Subscriber count jump: ~25% = (1547-1231)/1231

This milestone has technically been achieved as we’ve seen a jump of ~25% = (1547-1231)/1231

The one caveat to this milestone achievement is that it’s very likely that DevNTell was not the only factor in this jump but rather a collective effort from all the content creators who post onto our Channel (workshops, humans of D_D, etc…).

Launch DevNTell on at least one other platform (i.e Spotify)

• DevNTell has an official Spotify Channel created as of September with content and I’m working through back filling the channel with all the past episodes
  • Currently 21 of 46 episodes are uploaded to the platform with the plan to have all episodes on Spotify by the end of the calendar year 2022
  • Plans are in place to expand further from Spotify to other popular podcasting platforms in Season 2 like iTunes, Google podcasts, etc…

Launch devntell.xyz having all previous sessions available for viewing

There hasn’t been enough time to meet this milestone this season as the focus has been on content creation and likely won’t see any action until a new budget is requested for in upcoming seasons

Allocation Revisions (Optional)

As the devntell.xyz website milestone will not be completed or started this season I am proposing an amendment to the budget allocation to reduce allocation by one distribution:

Current schedule by milestone
Milestone 1 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Paid)
Milestone 2 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Paid)
Milestone 3 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Unpaid)
Milestone 4 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Unpaid)

New schedule by milestone
Milestone 1 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Paid)
Milestone 2 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Paid)
Milestone 3 allocation - 2,430 $CODE (Unpaid)

2 Likes

re devntell.xyz:

@mulford’s new team/project/whatever may be able to help with that

1 Like

Excellent, I’ll keep this in mind as the next season rolls around, thanks!