[Archived] [Draft v1] S1 Budget Proposal: OKRs Initiative

[Archived] [Draft v1] S1 Budget Proposal: OKRs Initiative

Author(s): luan (lu.an#9388)

You can find previous discussions on this topic, in the #okr-initiative discord channel, under the DAO Projects category.

Summary

This is the Season 1 budget proposal for the OKRs Initiative. It outlines the high-level goals for the initiative, how we plan to get there, the team working to make this happen and the proposed budget we’re applying for.

Motivation

OKR stands for ‘objectives and key results’ – and it is a goal-setting methodology that can help teams and organizations (such as DAO’s) set measurable goals. Thus at a high-level, the OKRs Initiative is a community effort to realign members of Developer DAO around our Mission and our goals.

This is an ongoing, ever-evolving process that involves us looking at what is working, what is not working, and what we want to continue to do and start to experiment with in upcoming seasons.

Mission, Values & Goals Alignment

The proposition here is that the OKRs Initiative should remain Guild-agnostic, and seek to serve its purpose across the entire DAO ecosystem – assisting both Guilds and projects, alike.

The rationale behind this approach is rooted in ethics and accountability. And thus the question being posed is:

If the OKRs Initiative were to fall under a particular Guild (i.e. Ops Guild), then how can it seek to adequately hold that Guild accountable?

And it’s not that it is impossible for the initiative to function in that way; but in terms of running procedures that are as unimpeachable as possible — the Q here is: should it function that way?

We believe that the answer to this question is NO.

Thus in addition to its overarching mission, the OKRs Initiative will serve the following functions:

1. Clarity

Helping to bring clarity and focus to projects and initiatives.

2. Frameworks

Helping to facilitate best practices and frameworks that keep efforts aligned with the DAO’s mission and goals (e.g. does a prospective partner run contrary to our ethics? Do certain arrangements present a conflict of interest? etc).

3. Auditing

Unofficial internal auditor.

With accountability being a core pillar of this initiative, it’s important that we establish processes that can adequately vet the various parts of this ecosystem. This will be comprised of the following:

1. Pre-mortems
  2. Post-mortems

Without proper standards, it breeds a lack of cohesion in how Developer DAO operates (not to be conflated with homogeneity); and in turn, leads to a lack of clarity on how we are to approach both projects and partnerships.

Brand usage

N/A

Scope of work

This particular effort is as multi-layered as it is expansive, so I’m strongly encouraging us to be pedantic about focusing on only a few core goals for Season 1 - in addition to starting small and scaling up gradually. Therefore the focus for Season 1 is as follows:

1. Establish a framework for gathering data from both Guilds

2. Re-evaluate all of the touch points where the DAO’s mission and goals can be communicated

3. Define Season 1 DAO-level OKRs

4. Define Season 1 Guild-specific OKRs

At a granular level, this looks like (but is not limited to):

• Restructuring the existing OKR interview template
  • Crafting new ways of communicating the Developer DAO mission and goals
  • Conducting interviews with Guild leads and contributors
  • Sitting in on onboarding sessions
  • Sitting in on partnership meetings

Everybody is welcome to join in, and help drive this initiative. The initiative will remain open so that members can work together. And at some later point in time, we will vote as a community on a smaller number of people who can push this initiative further. The intention is that (eventually) we will empower the working group to implement what has been decided upon as a community.

Financial implications

The requested budget is based on a projected idea of operations that are needed, in order to fulfil the Season 1 scope of work, as laid out above. Team syncs, meeting with stakeholders across the DAO, drafting documents, research & development, as well as other miscellaneous tasks which serve this effort

Team

The following people will comprise the initial working group, based on them previously expressing an interest in helping to build out this initiative - and also their contributions made, so far. This group is subject to change before the end of Season 1.

@luan: core contributor

@vorcigernix: core contributor

@daeshawn.eth: core contributor

@Contributor_role: open position for anybody not listed above. Members should feel free to contribute as much (or as little) as they want. The bigger priority here is that on matters which impact the entire DAO – that these conversations are happening out in the open, and creating pathways for people to easily participate.

Success Metrics & KPIs

• Form a Working Group that can carry this initiative into Season 2

• Gather data from each Guild (including their respective projects e.g. scribes)

• Establish a cadence for periodic check-ins with each Guild and project

• Work alongside each Guild to construct a set of OKRs for Season 2

Next Steps

The immediate next steps are focusing on finalizing the initial working group, getting clarity from the Product Guild on potential synergies, and beginning work on the interview template.

7 Likes

I support this and think OKRs will be are driving force for clarity and context across the DAO working groups! I have used them extensively in my day job.

The governance guild is looking to adopt OKRs quickly and we would be happy to be a test case / early user.

See our draft OKRs which still need some work.

1 Like

The proposition here is that the OKRs Initiative should remain Guild-agnostic

I support this.

Unofficial internal auditor.

Why unofficial? I see no problem with this becoming an institution of the DAO.

Define Season 1 DAO-level OKRs

Define Season 1 Guild-specific OKRs
Will you be able to deliver now with all guilds and projects already defining KPIs? How would that work?

open position for anybody not listed above.

No mention of rewards. You should define it, this is good work that deserves it.

Establish a cadence for periodic check-ins with each Guild and project

We don’t have a culture of compliance. I would ask you guys to be pedantic, and point at the operators, guilds and projects not delivering their monthly reports, for example.

Thanks for plugging in, Will. I’ll take a look at the doc, and follow up with you in the #okr-initiative channel on Discord.

I believe it makes our job easier, as they’ve gone ahead and defined these at the Guild-level. In the initial OKR meeting that was set up and hosted by @BluePanda, I believe a case was made, that defining OKRs at the project-level would be too granular. At the time, I agreed - but I’ve since come to realize that it is important to distinguish projects that are DAO-specific (e.g. Onboarding) vs projects that are started in the DAO (Soil, P3RKS etc).

The former tends to be of material importance, because we expect that they’ll be tied into the functionality of the DAO, at some level. Whereas the latter is still important, but not on an equal footing. Their area(s) of focus do not necessarily need to be plugged into the DAO-wide OKRs, but they must still adhere to expectations around budgets and the accountability of them. In addition to this, they must fall in line with the DAO’s values in some way.

The former however (DAO-specific projects) should arguably have OKRs that are tied to the DAO-wide ones in some way.

The DAO-wide focus for Season 1 is: Education. My action item (post-finalizing the OKRs budget proposal) is reading through the KPI’s of each of the proposals that have been put together, and seeing where they align with that. @vorcigernix and myself do not need to spend time formulating these things, but rather help to refine them (where necessary).

I’ve amended the proposal to include rewards, and will publish a v2 version before the end of day today (10th July). This v1 draft will then be archived.

Yes, certainly. Over the coming weeks, we will be meeting with the relevant parties to establish the standards and expectations heading into Season 1.