P19: S1 Specification & Budget

apologies I never replied to this. your approach makes total sense and I agree with everything you’ve said. that said, an ambition of mine during season 1 playing the coordination role is to try to reorientate thinking in the DAO to a stronger focus on generating value for members, rather than investing so much time and energy in “being a DAO” and folks not feeling like they can drive things forward/being too worried about the process. I agree I don’t think we should rush into funding but do you think the idea of having a number of grants/funding targets is fundamentally bad or is it just the idea of someone being responsible for it?

I am aligned with you philosophically on wanting to Get Shit Done in S1 after months and months of bureaucratic struggles.

So I hate to this, but I think a quantitative target for S1 is fundamentally a bad idea. Here’s an example:
-Project A applies for an ecosystem grant from the Star blockchain
-Project B applies for an ecosystem grant from the Star blockchain

Star blockchain’s grant team reviews these grant proposals and doesn’t understand why D_D has two teams working on Star ecosystem grant proposals which aren’t coordinating with each other. Star’s grants lead contacts D_D’s MBD lead, who knows a little bit about Project A and Project B but not enough to clear up the confusion, so they start a group DM thread with Project A & Project B leads and the Star blockchain lead. Now for the first time Project A & B are talking to each other and realize that they could have submitted a proposal together to Star.

Star is like wtf is going on at D_D, why are they so disorganized?

Star doesn’t fund A or B because of the confusion, and discounts every future proposal that comes from D_D because of this. Now D_D’s leadership decides to use social capital to convince Star to give D_D projects another chance.

[This scenario is much less likely to happen with sound fundraising infrastructure, systems, and processes. For the long-term success of D_D fundraising, we need to get our house in order before we invite outsiders into it.]

2 Likes