P-35: Argo Academy (An Academy Alternative) 2024 Q1

Do you picture this more as a platform for partners or could this create a culture where DAO members could host their own course.

1 Like

Both!

Users are broken up into 3 categories:

• Students
  • Instructors
  • Partners

Students have access to enrolling into courses, completing courses, and minting Course Completion Certifications gaslessly.

Instructors have the ability to do everything a student can, but also create and manage their own courses. Instructors will first have to complete a course in order to become instructors. Once the course has been completed completed, the token gated role of Instructor is unlocked.
Instructors will not be able to create their own certifications for minting. This is to avoid diluting the value of partner certifications (i.e. the Udemy Cert Dilemma).

Partners will have the same access as students and instructors, but will be able to create Certifications for students to gaslessly mint.

Courses created by instructors versus courses created by partners are distinctly labeled differently.

UPDATE

A changelog has been created to allow access to regular development updates.

Do you have any plans to open this up to other members of the DAO to contribute?

Yes, I do.

Iā€™m actively looking for a co-founder at the moment. That is my top priority.

Contributions to the codebase will not happen until after I launch beta since Iā€™m wrapping things up for the beta launch already.

There will be TONS of opportunity for contributing with technical learning content (both video & written). And, there will be a reward for those contributions. If they contribute to a project that involves a paying partner, theyā€™ll receive USDC for their contributions.

Because there is an ā€œInstructor Roleā€ with an active instructor portal, thereā€™s no need to hard-code any of the content into the app. Itā€™s as simple as taking their wallet address and setting it with the Instructor Role. Also, Instructors can only edit the content they create or content theyā€™ve been given access to, so you donā€™t have to worry about someone going in and editing/deleting content they shouldnā€™t have access to.

1/8/2024 Update

• Updated the frontend website.
  • Setup a deform waitlist.
  • Launched a private demo to test in a live env. (everything checks out)
  • Applied to Press Startā€™s next cohort.

1 Like

UPDATE (1/9/2024)

• ARGO Academy is live in Private Alpha, select D_D members will receive invites throughout the day.
  • Will be meeting with Dynamicā€™s CTO to help me map out user auth flow to streamline and optimize. Looking to reduce costs and maintain auth security and acct persistence. Also, possibly discussing an official partnership between Dynamic x ARGO.
  • Reached out to Eden about testing our certification widget to optimize recruitment while also asked about potentially listing my open Co-Founder role for ARGO.
1 Like

Always positive to see someones 1st proposal :clap: congrats on doing that and on shipping as much as you have shipped so far and the ambitious plan. We to encourage more of it and going 1st is always the hardest.

Some clarifying questions here that I think would he helpful for everyone when comparing this with academy:

1. Do you see this replacing academy?
  2. If no, how do you see them co-existing?
  3. Youā€™ve mentioned about a conversation on collaboration and synergies, can you expand on how you think that might play out with the academy team? (given youā€™ve mentioned not looking for a team, it shares many of the same features and ambitions etc.) - kinda same as #2.
  4. Is this video AND text or just video courses?
  5. Can you provide a video or link where people can see what youā€™ve built? Hard to folks to judge without this when platform is in private Alpha, voting to replace an existing platform that has content people can see with one they canā€™t see is a big ask.
  6. If this were to replace academy, would you consider it being branded DD or keen to continue as an independent platform? What are your perspectives on positives / negatives for each route for you/Argo, and the DAO/members
  7. From your perspective, how valuable is DDā€™s backing for the success in Argo, particularly in the case where it replaces Academy? Not clear to to me how the relationship between the DAO and Argo would work longer term once platform is running, why would they come via DD when they could just go to Argo directly? Feels like that makes this a venture bet on Argo vs a long-term revenue driving product for the DAO (this has good and bad elements to it imo)
  8. Did you include it being a DD project in the press start capital application? Or other on-going conversations?

TLDR competition is healthy, nice work and/plan. Would have hoped for collaboration earlier in the cycle but youā€™ve explained yourself here already. Interested to see how this sparks conversations and action, and generally how this plays out. Lets make ample space for this on the coordination call.

Copying this from [DRAFT] Academy Sub-DAO - 2024 Q1 re Governance rules around conflicting proposals:

1st

I want to clarify something that I obviously missed when I wrote the proposal. When I titled it ā€œ(An Academy Alternative)ā€, I meant it as an alternative to the common approach of developing an academy, NOT an alternative to D_D Academy. I was trying to highlight how I developed ARGO is a very different approach to what D_D is developing.

Thanks @Crypdough.eth for pointing that out in VC5 this morning.

To be honest, it most definitely can. Is that my intention? No. Iā€™m solving a problem that I just got tired of running into. Bad docs often lead to devs looking for articles and videos to fill in the gaps. Modular video platforms force teams to do a very deep dive into their own docs because they will have to source the docs as supporting material for videos. This will help teams identify clear discrepancies within their own docs.

Also, Iā€™m honestly not as based of an engineer is guys like @Crypdough.eth. I love videos. I learn very well by following along and doing rather than going through docs. And, I think a lot of other devs do too. There was a 446% increase in long form technical videos on Youtube in 2023 alone.

Iā€™m just following the trend.

Long story short, and very harshly put, Iā€™m not trying to replace D_D Academy because, as far as Iā€™m aware, theyā€™re not building modular videos. Iā€™ve only seen text-based learning modules on D_D Academy.

(This could just be my ignorance)

Uhmā€¦ difficult question.

So, Iā€™m going to give you two answers.

As a D_D Fam Member:

As you already know, Iā€™ve been conflicted about the decision of submitting this proposal, as I have a lot of love for all of the D_D Academy team. I donā€™t know enough about the D_D Academy v2 build, so I really canā€™t answer this question fully.

As the Pragmatic D_D Member that cares about the future of the DAO:

Itā€™s not my job to have an answer to this question. I want whatā€™s best for D_D. D_D Members should never shy away from building something simply because someone else is already building it. If you donā€™t see very clear synergies with someone else, then it should be totally ok for you to build with someone else or on your own.

If ARGO x D_D Academy co-existing is whatā€™s best for D_D, awesome.
If it means only D_D Academy exists, Iā€™m totally ok with that tooā€¦ vis versa.
At the end of the day, itā€™s whatā€™s best for, D_D.

Iā€™m all for discussions. As Iā€™ve stated, there may be some way for us to collaborate, but Iā€™m currently unaware of where that may be. But, Iā€™m open for discussions to see if there are opportunities.

Both, but heavily emphasized on video at the moment. Again, Iā€™m following the trend of increase technical videos on Youtube and the 77% increase in Udemy Business in 2022. Read here for context: https://docs.argo.academy
I personally donā€™t see a strong growth trajectory with text-based courses. Modular text-based courses just seems like an overdone blog to me, which makes me feel like itā€™s a hard sell.

Absolutely! Iā€™ll have a video up tonight. And, Iā€™ll get you, @kempsterrrr, a login tomorrow morning so you can play with it.
Note: I just finished meeting with the Dynamic.xyz team, so Iā€™m hard charging some Auth changes at the moment. Iā€™m hoping to have those changes done and working by tomorrow AM.

Iā€™m still considering this.

I want to brand this with D_D, but I would have to have a deeper conversation on ownership, equity, and what having a D_D branded product looks like in 1/3/5 years. I would have to consider all of the benefits and its pitfalls.

I have no problem with the D_D brand, but I wanna have my pragmatic questions answered before I fully decide.

Definitely on the table.

I detailed this part in my original proposal.

I fully intend, whether ARGO is branded as a D_D product or not, to design an agreement that gives D_D equity of ARGO.

Note: I already set up a C-Corp, so designing an agreement to get D_D on the cap table is a very real possibility.

For the Press Start Application, I stated that I proposed a partnership with Developer DAO.
Hereā€™s the link attached to my Press Start Application:

Iā€™m all for healthy competition. As a matter of fact, I think this SHOULD push both ARGO and D_D Academy to push for a better product. If D_D Academy launches a badass v2 and blows ARGO out of the water simply because they felt the heat of competition, then Iā€™ll still consider it a win for D_D.

1 Like

This has my support and I would be happy elevating.

3 Likes

my preference is a bit more dialogue before the proposals get elevated. just shared my broad Academy vs. Argo thoughts in the Academy thread here. i can make time tomorrow for a chat with Patrick if we want to explore collabs or other happy paths. :handshake:

4 Likes

Why does it have to be framed as a ā€œversusā€ situation? If one of the primary missions and goals of D_D is to educate and onboard developers to web3, wouldnā€™t having two platforms that cater to different types/styles of learners be a win/win for D_D (especially if Academy isnā€™t planning on catering to video learners) and the overall web3 community? Iā€™m struggling to see the issue with having two platforms co-exist and be represented by D_D.

4 Likes

when i started my response draft i dont think @PSkinnerTech or Mannyā€™s comments had been posted yet, so iā€™ve only now read Patrickā€™s latest comment clarifying the use of ā€œalternativeā€.

there is accompanying video(s) in a WIP Academy partner lesson, so theyā€™ll be present. it may be fair to say theyā€™re catering to different learner types.

iā€™d love to see 1) Patrick/Argo and Academy both succeed and 2) Developer DAO try more low-risk revenue generating experiments. at a pragmatic level, my concern is if they are almost entirely overlapping and would compete for the same customers at the expense of each other.

other context in case its helpful: to date, Academy has happily agreed to have bizdev funneled through Manny and the Labs team to present potential partners with a unified offering. in other words, they get a menu of options that includes Academy lessons, instead of getting hit up by one DAO rep to pitch a hackathon and another Academy rep for content. how does that conversation go with Argo also on the menu?

i have other practical questions for @PSkinnerTech:

• do you already have beta partners in the pipeline or are you creating the first courses yourself?
  • what is the actual scope of a modular course? proposal includes this example language, but seems an extreme case (32 30-min videos) for sake of example:
  • are you comfortable talking preliminary numbers? im a noob in this domain, but i know video creation and editing is obviously a heavier lift than text, so iā€™m curious what the revenue split looks like in real terms.
3 Likes

Great initiative.
I would encourage Argo to coordinate with Labs and Academy in order to avoid a competition for possible clients. But offering different options, and having multiple paths to reach our Mission is important.
Happy to support this proposal.

3 Likes

UPDATES:

Hereā€™s the requested demo video:

Now, to answer a few questions that were asked in Discord, but not detailed here:

Is the platform actually ready?

Absolutely! Iā€™m excited as all Iā€™m doing right now is testing the automated NFT Certification Feature and cleaning up the UI! This part is what Iā€™m the most excited about, because Iā€™ve developed a tool that takes the studentā€™s Profile Image, their username, the Course Card, Course Description, and Course Completion Date and compiles that into a .svg file which is then minted as a NFT.

Hereā€™s an example:

ARGO isnā€™t D_D branded, is this a D_D product, or is ARGO itā€™s own entity?

We obviously need to discuss equity, shared revenue, and more, but Iā€™m happy to expand on this more in the future.

ARGO is already a registered Delaware C-Corp with an available Cap Table.

This is an important distinction as I already have a working CRM, Banking, Invoicing, and partner management flow.

Is ARGO ready to take partners?

If ARGO was handed a partner today, Iā€™m very confident that I can introduce them to the platform and have them onboarded in less than 60 minutes. Onboarding would include:

• Introduction to ARGO (Full Tutorial)
  • Q&A
  • Selecting Plan
  • Invoicing
  • Setting up Monthly Calls to Review KPIs and Course Analytics
  • Instructor Account Setup
  • Onboarding Complete

Why focus on modular video rather than text?

Whitelabel Text-Based Module eLearning Platform Already Exists in Web3

Aside from partners being able to build their own blogs and documentation, thereā€™s already a Whitelabel Module Text-Based Academy service from an extremely well known Web3 Brand.

See Banklessā€™s text-based academy that has quizes, NFT Certs, and is partnered with Gitcoin, Here: https://whitelabel.banklessacademy.com/

The Data Doesnā€™t Lie - Video Education To The Moon :rocket: :crescent_moon:

If Longform Technical Education on Youtube was a Meme Coin, Iā€™d be up 446% if I bought and Hodlā€™ed through 2023.

See the data and sources here: https://docs.argo.academy

If itā€™s not a Sub DAO, how does ARGO actually serve the community

1. Leading from the Front

Iā€™m not going to sit around and wait for D_D to hand me partners. D_D needs project owners and builders that are willing to take action, no matter what. I want to inspire other D_D members to get their sh!t together, and start building again. I also want them to know that I, along with many other D_D members, are here to support new projects.

2. Only D_D Members can be instructors for Free

Though they wonā€™t be allowed to issue NFT Certifications, D_D Members will be able to take a ā€œArgonaut Instructor Certificationā€, allowing them to unlock the tokengated instructor role and grow themselves and their brand on the ARGO platform.

3. Partnering with Other D_D Projects

Iā€™m actively seeking a partnership with Eden Protocol to test our future tool: The Certification Verification Widget. This tool will allow recruiters/recruitment platforms to verify completed certifications on Argo. Iā€™m willing to discuss partnerships with other D_D Projects, as well.

4. Breaking Out of Discord

D_D is more than just a Discord Channel, but we certainly donā€™t act that way. I want Argonauts to learn about D_D through ARGO. When Argonauts complete certifications, theyā€™re going to look for recruitment services, hackathons, and more.

Developers should learn about D_D through projects being built by D_D members, not the other way around.

@wolovim, ā€œI donā€™t think the Certifications will be that valuable.ā€

This is where research is imperative before building.

• Generalist certifications and/or certifications developed and provided by 3rd partners are not highly sought after by students or companies.
  • When courses and certifications are being provided by the company itself or by a certified partner, the certification hodls a 10x value in comparison to certs on platforms like Udemy. See Native Platforms like:
    ā€“ Google Certifications: Training & Tools to Grow Your Business or Career, from Google
    ā€“ Salesforce Certifications: pathfinder
  • The numbers donā€™t lie. Google & Salesforce are creating their own onboarding and hiring pools by developing these platforms. The little guys canā€™t do this on their own. This is where ARGO comes in.
  • By partnering with Argo, they can then partner with projects like Eden and develop a perfect ecosystem to certify, onboard, and hire community members. What better way to make sure team members are set for success even before being hired?

Some data:

• As of March 2023, Salesforce Trailhead has over 12 MILLION registered users.
  • Google claims that 56% of certificate graduates reported career advancement within 6 months.
  • Google specifically states that having Google certifications is not only highly sought after, but sometimes required for specific roles.

ARGO is specifically developed and positioned to be the certified partner/platform for Web3 companies to increase the value of their communities, streamline their hiring processes and expedite new-hire onboarding.

Thanks for all of the questions in the Discord Chat! Happy to answer more! :heart_hands::pray:

1 Like

i dont love that you chose to include a paraphrased and out of context quote here. ill assume the best. i may not have been eloquent on our call, but i was trying to make a more nuanced point: education credentialing has a long history of uncooperative fragmentation and getting diverse stakeholders to agree to adopt a standard is harder than building the technology. thatā€™s it. if youā€™ve got partners on a white-labeled platform issuing credentials of their own design, i think youre off to a good start.

re: demo video, the white-labeling aspect is interesting. i didnt catch something - is the intention to offer every instructor (individual or company) their own skinnable ā€˜storefrontā€™? and then the courses are also discoverable from a general search? or was the white-labeling specific to the docs feature?

3 Likes

A snapshot proposal has been elevated for this alongside [DRAFT] Argo Academy (An Academy Alternative) 2024 Q1 which begins voting at 12pm UTC tomorrow - see here.

Please make any adjustments to this proposal before voting starts.

1 Like

On the note of equity, what are you imagining?

1 Like

Depends on the valuation. Obviously, pre-revenue valuations are just shots in the dark. Iā€™m going to wait to have users and revenue before creating an evaluation to make share offers/proposals more realistic.

1 Like